Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: staying home for a year

Default staying home for a year

I'm 38 and a single mom. I was a retail exec. and very successful at my job. I moved in with my parents before my DD was born and they have been very supportive. I took a 6 month LOA from my job and when the time was up and I had to go back to work they made me a new position job offer. I just couldn't part from my baby, So I decided to turn the job down and stay home and raise my little girl for at least the first year of her life. she just turned 8 months. I keep expenses low and don't have financial issues. did I make the right decision or did I throw my career away. my girlfriends " all single" tell me I made a mistake and getting rehired might mean a pay cut. please give your thought. thanks.

Default Re: staying home for a year

I've recently returned to the work force after being a SAHM for 4 years. I make more now than I did when I stopped working. I wouldn't worry about it. You might have to start out with a lower paying position at first but I'm sure it won't take very long for you to show them what you're made of and get back to the salary you were at before taking the time off.

I hope you enjoy the next few months off!

If you're doing any volunteer work, or taking any classes, or doing anything that might apply to your career later, keep notes on that stuff. Add it all to your resume, to show that even though you were off work with your baby, you were still keeping up with your career.

Learning new software, keeping up with industry news and publications, renewing certifications, it all counts.

Your daughter will be proud of you!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I wonder about this same thing myself - I was a teacher who also did some work with a nonprofit teaching organization. I always saw myself getting one of the competetive jobs in the nonprofit full-time, and when I was pregnant with my daughter I started getting recruitment calls for positions and I just decided not to pursue them and instead take a year off with my daughter. I have stayed active with the organization, and it's hiring season again and I am again getting recruitment calls. Not sure what to do - my daughter would be almost a year when I went back. My husband and I can swing it if I stay home longer, but I'm worried my career will go down the tubes as I have more and more time where I'm not working very much.
    I feel your angst!!

I took a class at a LLL conference recently. It was about building your resume when you've been out of the workforce for a while.

They suggest organizing your resume by skills, instead of by the more traditional chronological order. I know that most of the stuff they presented in the class came from the 'net. I'm sure if you poked around online, you'd find tons of information about what to do with your resume when there are gaps in paid employment.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Thank you for all the support. My Isabella is the most important thing and I need to remember that. jobs and careers will always be there.