Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rice cereal

Default Rice cereal

When did you start introducing rice cereal to your baby? I read that it's ok to start at 4 mos if you formula feed, but BF infants should wait until 6 mos. My LO is only 3 mos 1 week atm so i was just curious as to what you all did. Thanks!

Default Re: Rice cereal

We started at 4 mos per docs instructions. Riley was 9 lbs and birth and 15.5 at the 4 mo checkup. We started slow, just a tablespoon or so mixed with warm water. Now, at 5 mos, he's up to 4 tablespoons. Doc said to just slowly work our way through the cereals and then around 6 months or so we'll slowly start veggies, then fruits, and then around 9 mos. we'll start meats.

Hope that helps! This whole solids stuff is so confusing, and everyone has an opinion! I have found that following your instincts, and trusting your doctor work best.

I am being told that it is at your own to decide, but I researched this...

Allergy Risk Tied to Early Solid Foods

Salynn Boyles
    Information from Industry
    Assess clinically focused product information on Medscape.
    Click Here for Product Infosites -- Information from Industry.

July 28, 2006 -- New moms should breastfeed exclusively for six months to help protect their babies against developing food allergies later on, one of the nation's leading allergy and asthma groups says.

Solid foods of all types should be avoided for the first six months, and certain items -- like cow's milk, eggs, fish, and nuts -- should not be introduced until even later, according to a consensus statement on infant feeding released this week by the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI).

"It is important to understand that we are talking about exclusive breastfeeding, with no formula, soy or anything else," researcher Amal Assa'ad, MD, tells WebMD. "This appears to be important for protecting against allergies."

The ACAAI committee came up with its recommendations after reviewing the available clinical evidence. The consensus statement is published in July's Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology -- the journal of the ACAAI.

Foods Should Be Introduced Gradually

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) also recommends exclusive breastfeeding for six months, followed by gradual introduction of solid foods.

Some infants and mothers with certain medical conditions or who are undergoing certain medical treatments should not breastfeed.

AAP guidelines also include detailed suggestions about when infants at risk for developing allergies should first be given certain foods, which the ACAAI committee endorsed.

The ACAAI food allergy committee also specifically recommends that -- when there is evidence of an increased risk for food allergies -- cow's milk and other dairy products should be avoided for the first year of life; eggs should not be given until at least age 2; and peanuts, tree nuts, fish, and other seafood should be avoided until at least age 3.

Although the foods above are the most likely to trigger allergies, other foods may also pose a risk if introduced too early, the group noted.

Other Recommendations

In addition to exclusive breastfeeding and avoidance of solid foods for six months, the ACAAI committee recommended that:

Staple foods, such as fruits, vegetables, meats, soy, and cereal be introduced "individually and gradually" to lessen allergy risk.

Mixed foods containing a variety of potentially allergenic foods should be avoided until the baby's tolerance to each ingredient is known.

Beef, vegetables, and fruits should initially be given in the form of prepared baby foods that are cooked and homogenized. Studies suggest these processed foods are less likely to cause allergies than their fresh counterparts.

The committee made no specific recommendations regarding introduction of wheat and cereals into the diets of babies older than six months. "In many people's minds, wheat is a highly allergenic food, but the clinical evidence does not support this," Assa'ad says.

"The timing after age 6 months at which specific foods should be introduced depends on a number of factors, including the individual infant's nutritional needs and risk for allergies," committee chairman Alessandro Fiocchi, MD, said.

Evidence Compelling but Not Conclusive

Assa'ad says breast milk contains many of the same food allergens as individual foods, but instead of promoting allergies, it appears to help babies become tolerant as their immune systems develop.

Assa'ad acknowledged there is still debate about the impact of food introduction timing on allergy risk.

Even so, the committee wrote in its consensus state, "There seems to be no reason why delayed exposure to solid foods should not prove similarly useful (as the delay of cow's milk) in the prevention of food allergies," the committee wrote in its consensus statement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES: Fiocchi, A. Annals of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, July 2006; vol 97: pp.10-21. Alessandro Fiocchi, MD, University of Milan Medical School; chairman, ACAAI Adverse Reactions to Foods Committee. Amal Assa'ad, MD, associate director, division of allergy and immunology, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati.

my last two babies started with table foods at 9-12 months when teeth.

Did you find this satisfactory? Were they showing more signs of 'readiness'? I feel so strongly that the longer a child is exclusively BF, the better. I just have so many people trying to get me to introduce solids at 5 months.

I also researched that infants at 4-6 mo think you are playing instead of eating... They are not necessarily seeing it as food until actually fed and understand that concept... I need to find this again and post it...

We didn't start until DS was 6 months...we did a baby-led approach (no spoon-feeding purees...let him feed himself)...anyway he tried some here and there, but didn't really get into it until about 1 1/2 months ago when he got really good at the pincer grasp! Now he likes it, but still doesn't necessarily get something every single day!

I would hold off until 6 months...most current sources say this. Some peds still say 4 months, but they are ignoring the AAP's most current recommendations to wait until 6 months. Baby will have less risk of allergies and their GI tract changes once they start anything other than BM.
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

At Hunter's 4 month needle appointment the doctor told me to start introducing rice cereal. He was almost 5 pounds at birth (8 weeks early) and checked in at 14 lb 5 oz.!!! I was surprised to hear him tell me that, but we had to find a cereal with NO milk products due to a dairy allergy ( I hope he outgrows it). It's been almost a week and he gobbles it all right up. My question is, how long now until I try different cereals??

At our 4 month appt the ped gave us info on starting cereal/solids. She said that we should wait as long as we could up to 6 mos before actually giving any cereal or solids, though. She is in a practice with several other pediatricians. She said it was disputed among them whether to go with the new recommendations of 6 months or start at 4 months like they used to. I have done quite a bit of research, and I plan on waiting as long as possible to start solids. However, I have given her spoons and a sippy cup to play with so DD is familiar with these. I was told that after your lo seems cofortable with one solid and does not show an allergic reaction after 3-5 days then it is okay to introduce a new solid.

We didn't do cereal/s at all. Given the latest information, we opted out due to the fact that it seemed nothing more than a filler lacking any nutritive value.

We went straight for 'table' foods when he showed he was ready. (which for him was about 6-7 mo)

In the LLL FAQ'shere, there's a few links that deal with solids/readiness
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

We started @ 5 months. Although it really isn't the highest in nutrients we went this route since it's easiest on their lil tummy's. (or so my pedi said)
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.