Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 momths old, loves solids and constipated

Default Re: 8 momths old, loves solids and constipated

Hi there,
    It sounds like things are going better for you and ds. How is he doing? I did want to ask if you had spoken with your doctor about this.

Kate,
    Yes, things are a little better. I guess as long as I dont make things too solid, he is fine. I mixed a little breastmilk with the lentils/wheat germ yesterday and he had bowel movement alright today. I have not spoken with his doctor about this. His stools are not hard - so I guess it was not really constipation? Is it okay to skip bowel movement for a couple days or does that mean constipation?
    Thanks.

You are right in questioning whether or not it was constipation. Of course, I am not a health professional and we always suggest speaking with your doctor, but LLL states that it is common for older BF babies to go several days or even longer without a bowel movement. If bowel movements are soft and everything else is ok, then this is normal. Constipation is actually when bowel movements are very dry and hard and difficult for baby to pass. So, frequency has nothing to do with constipation with BF babies.

How often is ds nursing? Is he still getting the majority of his nutrition from BM? (I think he must because you mentioned cutting back to no solids for a day or two, right?) He is older, but if he is not eating a lot of solids and still getting a lot of nutrition from BM, then this would be as normal as it would be for a baby who is 6 or 8 months old.

Does this make sense? I hope this helps. It sounds like you are right on the money with this! Keep those mommy instincts going, they usually work pretty well!

dear emerald, sorry for the late reply. here is a list of things I'm trying that has helped isabella. pear anf prunes puree, water with every meal, I take flax seed oil supplements and stoped giving her the oil, instead i put a drop of good quality olive oil in with her lunch" home made garden patch".
    a combination off the above has really helped. please let me know how it goes. i hope this helps and your little one will feel better.