Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 momths old, loves solids and constipated

Default 8 momths old, loves solids and constipated

My little girl started solids at 6 months and loves everything I feed her. she eats solids 3 times a day and nurses the rest of the day on demand. she is very constipated and every BM is a project. please help me out . What should I feed her to help her with constipation. I've tried prune/apple juice, pureed pears, apples and spinach as well as olive oil. she goes every 3 days or so. She loves her meal time with the family so I'm hoping to improve the situation without cutting out solids.
    she eats 2 ounces of oatmeal or cereal for breakfast and dinner and a jar of veggies for lunch along with 2 teaspoons of yogurt with lunch and pureed fruits for dinner dessert. her growth is perfect.
    thanks .

Default Re: 8 momths old, loves solids and constipated

First, are you certain that she is actually constipated and not just going a few days between bowel movements? Constipated is indicated by hard-to-pass, hard pellet-like stools. If this isn't what her poops are like then she's not constipated. If it is then it can be a sign that her body really isn't ready for all the solids.

Is baby receiving iron-fortified cereal or vitamin supplements that contain iron? Sometimes those can cause constipation as well.

HTH.

I've had luck with flax seed meal (ground flax seeds). Dr. Sears recommends it in the baby book. I gave DD some one day and she had 5 dirty diapers the next day. I just mixed it in with cereal or fruit. I think he recommends a teaspoon for an infant, but you could check his website www.askdrsears.com I found the flax seed meal at a regular grocery store in a section that had specialty flours but I'm sure a health food dtore would have it too.

My daughter is just a little bit younger than yours, she is my third child and the first one to have any constipation. I started grinding up regular oatmeal, and putting about half of that in with her baby oatmeal, slowly weaning her off the baby oatmeal, to cut the iron out. Also, there is nothing wrong with just giving some prunes, either staight or mixed in with something else. To watch for allergies just make that the only new food that is introduced. So far her bm's have changed significantly with just that added. Hope your situation gets better.

thank you so much. I tried flax seed oil in her cereal as well as prunes as dessert and they did the trick. thanks for the suggestions.

qnoftroy, can you please share how the constipation issue is going on? My ds did not have bowel movement after I introduced cooked lentils with cracked wheat + vegetables mashed up in the last 3 days. So to ward the fear of hard stools I gave him 1 tsp of flax oil mixed in his yogurt, and boy - he had one bowel movement within the next half hour, but after then he was sooo uncomfortable all through the night, and still has a tummy ache whenever I nurse him (he never cries like this as if in so much pain). I had given him a prune the day before but that did not seem to trigger bowel movement. Can others please share how to avoid constipation in future? My ds is having such a tough time with this. Should I give him water along with his meals? How much? He is 1 year old today.
    Thanks in advance.

I am bumping this up so someone (LLL Leaders, please respond) can help me out with this...(please see my post above)

Have you read this from Dr. Sears?

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

He has lots of suggestions. One of them is giving some water with meals. The extra fiber can cause constipation if there isn't enough water in the system. Another idea would be to just breastfeed and don't offer solids for a couple days, then slowly reintroduce solids.

milkfacesmom, Thank you for your suggestion. I am going to start giving water with his meals as you said. Even better, as I used to do before with his cereal, whenever possible, I will try to give him a couple of ounces of expressed breastmilk with his meals (which is why he never had constipation before now, I realize). I did as you suggested - no solids (I did give him yogurt) the last couple days and he had bowel movements yesterday night and this morning - they weren't hard stools though...maybe cutting out the solids softened his stools. Thanks again.

Hi Emerald,
    I am pressed for time, but I heard your plea and will get back to you tomorrow!