Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stress and supply drop

Default Stress and supply drop

My LO is 4 months old and last night she burned her finger (she was in a sling and touched the stove as we walked by). I was pretty stressed about it and today I have so much less milk. Is this normal?? Will my supply go back up when I am less stressed?? She also has been sleeping less, so I am sleeping less, could this be a factor??

Default Re: Stress and supply drop

I was just going to post a similar question. I understand how you feel. I hosted Easter for 14 people, and was under a great deal of stress. Had to deal with judgement and criticism from the older generation, especially when I wouldn't let them feed my 5 mo. old some of their soup. Anyway, last night DS was up nursing constantly. He would suck and suck and get so frustrated. I was not "letting down". I tried to relax, but I became more upset as it took longer and longer. I never had a problem letting down before, and the past few days it takes longer and longer, and sometimes doesn't happen at all. Is my supply drying up? Is there a way to reverse this? He will not accept a bottle, and we were up together most of the night. I feel terrible today, and sad that this is happening. I've been drinking "mothers milk" tea, and having oatmeal, and of course trying to relax. We just started him on a little rice cereal a week ago, but this is not enough to affect my supply. I did have one menstrual cycle about a month and a half ago, and I heard that the milk supply can drop before menstruation. Could this be the case?

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Stress is definetly a factor when considering breast milk. My supply dropped for 2 days causing LO to have green poo because all he was getting was the foremilk.

Another factor is sleep, you need to be well rested to keep making milk. Are you eating and drinking enough during the day? I have also heard of supply's going down before AF comes to visit.

Just get plenty of rest, try side lying and nursing that way, that way you're relaxed and the let downs should occur more freqently. It does for me anyway. I had 4 let downs this morning wile side lying, needless to say ds loved it!

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

When I am stressed I definately have trouble getting a let down. The other night my 21 month old (who WAS a champion sleeper) was up screaming, I was trying to nurse my 3 month old, and my husband was away at a conference. It took so long my lo fell back to sleep and I just tried again when he woke up. I didn't bother giving him a bottle because I figure at his age he could probably go the night without eating anyway- and if he fell asleep he wasn't that hungry to begin with.

Its hard to relax, and there is little I can do about my lack of sleep right now. What I do when my body isn't working for me is try to feed my son before he gets took hungry so he doesn't get too frustrated waiting. If it doesn't work I wait a 1/2 hour and try again. Eventually it works- you have to have positive thinkin. I try to remember my lo isn't going to starve to death if I miss or late feeding him every once and awhile.

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

When I am stressed I definately have trouble getting a let down. The other night my 21 month old (who WAS a champion sleeper) was up screaming, I was trying to nurse my 3 month old, and my husband was away at a conference. It took so long my lo fell back to sleep and I just tried again when he woke up. I didn't bother giving him a bottle because I figure at his age he could probably go the night without eating anyway- and if he fell asleep he wasn't that hungry to begin with.

Its hard to relax, and there is little I can do about my lack of sleep right now. What I do when my body isn't working for me is try to feed my son before he gets took hungry so he doesn't get too frustrated waiting. If it doesn't work I wait a 1/2 hour and try again. Eventually it works- you have to have positive thinkin. I try to remember my lo isn't going to starve to death if I miss or late feeding him every once and awhile.

Your supply gets better once you destress- as does the ability to have a let down.

i rarely even feel a letdown anymore...wierd....but i have been under extreme stress since last monday and on top of that im really having a hard time that my baby is turning one tomorrow.....i dont pump but ive been wondering about stress and my supply because he is nursing Allthe time! ive been mostly blaming it on a one year growth spurt and teething....but i wonder about stress too........
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Stress definitely decreases supply and I think it does that by preventing good let-downs. When I'm stressed I can't let down and even if I can I think very small amounts of milk lets down which means most of the milk stays in my breast hence reduction of supply. My son is again having an episode of not nursing, or stopping and pulling in the middle of nursing (which makes me really mad) and I'm so stressed that I couldn't have a let down the whole night. I tried every position and relaxation etc. but it wouldn't happen until 5 am. Then of course once it happened my son again pulled in the middle of let down making me even more mad so my husband took care of him the rest of the morning. The interesting thing is although he hasn't had a good feeding maybe for 2 days he is still doing the same thing, not eating not eating not eating even in the middle of his sleep (which is the time when I can usually get good feedings into him.) Just suck suck suck and once milk comes drink a couple of drops and then let go. We are both covered in milk

Well now that I am back into a routine and less stressed, my letdowns have been happening a bit sooner, and I seem to have more milk now. PHEWWWW. I was so worried. I wonder if the mothers milk tea helped? I did drink about 5 cups yesterday. blessedbee...I'm so proud of you for making it a year nursing!!! Was it hard with the intro of solids? We just started rice cereal at 51/2 months, because he showed several signs of being ready (I'm aware of the 6mo recommendation, but he was def ready). Anyway, does introducing more solids affect your milk supply? How fast did you increase amounts and meals? I want our nursing relationship to go on and on. I have so much pressure from families to cut it down and increase solids. Those darn in-laws--I always complain about them on this board, but its my only outlet!!!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK