Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Complications w/delivery?

Default Complications w/delivery?

I have seen a couple of references in recent threads to the fact that complications with delivery can lower your milk supply. I wasn't aware of this and was wondering what kinds of complications cause this and why they cause it.

Thanks.

Default Re: Complications w/delivery?

Well, one reason complications can interfere is because it delays getting breastfeeding going, if mom and/or baby are too weak/tired. A delay can cause problems in getting the milk going.

Thanks for the reply. That does fit us. DS was in NICU during our stay in the hospital (he didn't really need to be there, but that's another story). I was exhausted from 2.5 days of labor and couldn't get to him without having someone wheel me there for the first 24 hours and someone walk next to me to support me after that. It makes me sad just to remember this! I wanted to be with him all the time.

Anyway, does this only affect supply at the very beginning, or can this impact supply for months down the line? I had problems getting my milk to come in, and he seemed to start gaining well for a few weeks or so once it did, but things appear to have slowly but progressively gone downhill.

Mother and baby separation due to medical issues during delivery can affect getting BF off to a good start, but not necessarily a long-term issue, as long as things turn around quickly.

Other delivery complications are:
    Retained placetal fragment
    Long-term or higher than normal post-partum bleeding

How have things been going down hill lately? Can you give us some details?