Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Meals for an amost 1 year old?

Default Meals for an amost 1 year old?

I want to start giving DD more food at her meals. We are still nursing, but she is just not interested anymore...we will continue as long as she wants, but I want to give her more solids at each meal. Right now here is what she has (everything is homemade):

breakfast-peaches or pears mixed with banana, oatmeal and yogurt

lunch-chicken, potato & carrot mixed together (like soup, but no broth)

dinner-carrots, sweet potatoes, or peas and then some cheerios

She eats the exact same things pretty much day after day and I'd like to give her more variety. She has 4 teeth and chews well.

Also, I do give her water in a sippy cup, which she mostly just plays with. Is it ok to give her a tiny bit of juice mixed with water each day? What about cow's milk? Is it too early for that? She does drink one bottle of formula before bed and I really really would like to get rid of that, but she will not nurse before bed...so when could I give her regular milk instead of the formula?

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Meals for an amost 1 year old?

Also, I do give her water in a sippy cup, which she mostly just plays with. Is it ok to give her a tiny bit of juice mixed with water each day? What about cow's milk? Is it too early for that? She does drink one bottle of formula before bed and I really really would like to get rid of that, but she will not nurse before bed...so when could I give her regular milk instead of the formula?

Any suggestions?
    Until she's officially one year old, its better to always give either breastmilk or formula before meals. It's also not recommended to give cow's milk before the first birthday either.

As far as meals go, at one year old (or almost) your DD can be eating almost anything that you eat. She can be eating meals right along with you, you just might have to cut things up really small for now. My one year old only has 2 teeth on the bottom, and he manages almost everything just fine. There are teeth under the gums, so I think the gums are harder, than with say a senior citizen with no teeth, KWIM?

The only things that I believe you need to wait on, are nuts, seafood, and maybe strawberries(and maybe related berries) I read somewhere that you can give strawberries and other berries after 1 year, and another place said after 2 years like with nuts, so I'm not sure on that one. You also aren't supposed to start cow's milk until after 1 year, and then you need to serve whole milk (extra fat for brain development) until age 2.

Just make sure your meals are well balanced, and let her eat what you do...although with really young children, you do need to make sure they're not getting too much sodium.

Juice is ok in moderation, but honestly, it has alot of sugars, and none of the fiber you get from real fruit, so a better choice, would be the actual fruit. Water is the best choice after breastmilk. Besides, when you give them lots of water when they're young like that, and don't let them have lots of juice or sugary drinks, its easier for them to prefer water when they're older, and it is very healthy.

Hello there! Long time no talk . I have been really bad about email lately!

Anyway, wanted to say that I second the above poster! She can be eating anything you are eating (almost). She can eat it mashed with a fork, or cut very small, or for foods like bananas and avocados, long strips work great!

We gave dd cow's milk or soy milk on her breakfast cereal starting at around a year (maybe a little before, but not much). I would definitly continue the formula at night until she is over a year--those nutrients are so much better than cow's milk. Especially if she isn't eating a very diverse array of foods. When her diet become a bit more diverse, you can start switching.

Haylee still only has 6 teeth and eats EVERYTHING! Seriously, meat, uncoomed apples, everything. Those gums are pretty amazing!

Good to see you!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hi Erin and congrats on the baby! I actually have a new email address...I will send you an email in a bit so that you will know it.

Thanks for the replies both of you ladies!!

I eat super healthy, so I'm not worried about Catherine getting a variety of foods...I just am unsure what she CAN eat...I feel like I've been very conservative about what I have fed her so far.

So she can eat anything I eat except for the allergy-related things? For example, if I make chicken with garlic sauce...she can eat that?? I guess I wasn't sure about herbs and spices and such, so I've given her only bland foods.

What about tomatoes? Can she eat tomato sauce? I was thinking of trying to give her pasta pieces...

Gosh, I just HATE to keep giving her the formula. As far as regrets, that is my only one...I really wish I had never given her formula and done strictly breastmilk. I can only do better with the next baby I guess.

Also, how small do the pieces of food need to be? The biggest things she eats right now are cheerios and peas.

Thanks again!!

Well, I guess I was saying that cutting out the formula bottle is like cutting out a nursing session, and if she hasn't led you to that, then I say keep giving her the formula until her diet is a bit more diverse--so that she is still taking in the same amount of nutrients. She is still getting a lot of breastmilk, and that's wonderful!!!

Yes, you can give babies, and especially young toddlers, spicy foods. Haylee loves spicy foods (not tooooo spicy, but within reason). She loves red peppers (but not jalepenos so much). She eats WHATever we are eating. We had enchiladas the other night, and they were plenty spicy, but she chowed them down (and drank lots of water, I might say). She loved it, and no tummy effects later. I think if you have been eating spicy (and I use spicy to include anything seasoned, not just hot) foods she is likely already accustomed to their effects.

I have read that tomatoes are allergenic, but we didn't know and gave Haylee tomatoes starting around 10.5 months, with no ill effects. I also give her peanut butter, but I know that's not recommended until after age 2 or 3 .

As for size of food--cheerio size is fine. With soft foods you can go a bit bigger.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I second Erin.

I think sometimes, the baby food companies market so much bland baby food, and promote it so much, that its difficult to realize that its better for baby to be eating a healthy well balanced diet of real food.

They even make baby hot dogs...and all sorts of baby TV dinners, so it seems like there's something wrong with serving real food to baby when so many companies out there are making baby specific food....they even have baby cheetos (I think they're really veggie puffs or something).

It could be too, that with so many formula fed babies, that some babies aren't used to the normal spices people use for cooking. Those babies that don't get the variety of tastes breastmilk provides, might have a harder time of accepting real food with real spices....