Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleep and bf changes

Default sleep and bf changes

hi there

i always get great advice here and am hoping that this is the appropriate forum to post this. my dd is almost 7 weeks old. we have been exclusively bf'ing and have gotten into a rhythm and groove in both her eating and sleeping patterns until everything changed a few days ago. up until a few days ago, i had gotten very used to her eating every 2 hours until 11pm and then at 2:30am and 5:30am. she pretty much sleeps through hte night (except for when eating of course), and has her awake period from around 11am-5pm when she's alert and smiling and very active. she'll then be up at intervals throughout the evening until 11pm. all of a sudden, all she does is sleep. she sleeps all day long, waking up about every 3 hours to eat and then falls right back to sleep! she feeds for a shorter amount of time (maybe she's getting better at it?) then she used to and just seems so much more sleepy. and when she is awake for brief periods, she is extremely fussy and cranky.

anyone have experiences like this or have any idea what may be going on? i sthis kind of thing normal?

thanks!!!!!
    diana

Default Re: sleep and bf changes

i wouldn't worry. ds is 7 months now and his sleeping patterns are still changing. just when i thought we were good with 3 hours feedings during the day, naps every 2-3 hours, and sleeping 9 hours through the night he went and started waking every few hours in the night and sometimes wants to feed every 2.5 hours and sometimes not for 5 hours. i think that they just have cycles that they go through.

oh, and i forgot to say that ds sleeps much more during growth spurts, which are really common at the age that your dd is at right now. crankyness could be related, could not be. keep and eye on it and see how things progress.

my dd did this during her seventh week of life. She slept all day long. i had to wake her for feedings. the following week, she up again during the day. i think this must have been part of a growth spurt.