Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing from one breast

Question Nursing from one breast

My daughter will only nurse from one side. She also will only nurse for about 5 minutes on this side. If she falls asleep I try to wake her. Sometimes I also try to switch sides in the middle of feeding, but it is like she just loses interest. It feels like she is nursing every hour.

I haven't had any real concerns about her gaining weight because she has. My concerns are about pumping. One breast always seems to be too full, even after pumping(almost to the point that it is painful), while the other seems to produce little to no milk whatsoever. What can I do to keep my little one interested and getting enough, and also what should I do about the pumping situation?

Thanks in advance....
    Last edited by Shareex; April 3rd, 2006 at 05:35 PM.

Default Re: Nursing from one breast

How old is your little one?

Default Re: Nursing from one breast

it's pretty normal to have one breast that produces more than the other. for me my left side is the side ds prefers and produces easier, my right never gets as much with pumping and he doesn't nurse as well on that side. i have heard amny moms talk about that same thing so i think it's pretty common. your milk supply will adjust to what baby needs, so it may be that your body is just still figuring it all out. let her nurse on the overly full side first, and as long as she wants (until she loses interest) and then switch to the other side. try that a few times a day and see if that helps relieve some of the overfullness.