Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night feeding becoming a problem?

Default Re: Useful articles about increasing your milk

Hello! I have a question regarding milk supply. I am only producing an ounce, sometimes half an ounce. I pump or my baby sucks every 2 hours. The time spent is about 10 min. on each breast. I drink about 10 glasses of water/juice/milk. I took fenugreek (6 tabs. per day) for the last 4 weeks. I am taking prenatal, iron, brewer's yeast, and I eat pretty well. Is there anything else I can do? Is it possible to still get a good milk supply, my baby is four weeks old?

Question Need help with low milk supply

Hello! I have a question regarding milk supply. I am only producing an ounce, sometimes half an ounce. I pump or my baby sucks every 2 hours. The time spent is about 10 min. on each breast. I drink about 10 glasses of water/juice/milk. I took fenugreek (6 tabs. per day) for the last 4 weeks. I am taking prenatal, iron, brewer's yeast, and I eat pretty well. Is there anything else I can do? Is it possible to still get a good milk supply, my baby is four weeks old?

Default Re: Need help with low milk supply

A feeding every two hours is normal for a baby at four weeks, it's also great for your milk supply. Also, the pump isn't as effective at extracting milk as your baby is. So your baby might be getting more than you think! Is your baby getting full? How many wet diapers in a day???
    If you are pumping to increase there are some techniques that might help. First of all, you can pick one hour in the day where you pump ten minutes on and ten minutes off three times in a row. This sort of simulates "cluster feeding" and helps stimulate more milk productions. You can also pump directly after a feeding for ten more minutes. Also it help to take a day of bed rest! Just camp out with the baby for a weekend and take it easy!!! There is a product that helped me called "Motherlove" and it works great. It is a combinations of different herbs in a tincture that you drop into juice or just take straight. It tastes horrible, but is effective!! Good luck to you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joyfulmama
    A feeding every two hours is normal for a baby at four weeks, it's also great for your milk supply. Also, the pump isn't as effective at extracting milk as your baby is. So your baby might be getting more than you think! Is your baby getting full? How many wet diapers in a day???
    If you are pumping to increase there are some techniques that might help. First of all, you can pick one hour in the day where you pump ten minutes on and ten minutes off three times in a row. This sort of simulates "cluster feeding" and helps stimulate more milk productions. You can also pump directly after a feeding for ten more minutes. Also it help to take a day of bed rest! Just camp out with the baby for a weekend and take it easy!!! There is a product that helped me called "Motherlove" and it works great. It is a combinations of different herbs in a tincture that you drop into juice or just take straight. It tastes horrible, but is effective!! Good luck to you!!!!
    Hi joyfulmama

I'm also desperately trying to increase my milk supply. May i know which specific "Motherlove" products hv u tried? Where do u buy them from?

Thanks!

Keeping your baby close and feeding very frequently - a nursing holiday - can boost your supply very quickly within a few days. Try to ignore any one who makes negative comments about your baby 'feeding again already', even if it's every half-hour! The more stimulation your breasts get the more milk they will make.
    The latest research also shows that the less time between feedings, the higher the fat content of the milk. A baby who goes back to the breast he emptied 30 or 40 minutes ago will get milk with a higher fat content than a baby who returns to a breast he emptied two or three hours earlier, so as well as increasing the amount of milk your breasts are making your baby will get higher calorie milk too.
    Good luck.

Default Night feeding becoming a problem?

Hi -- I've had low supply issues for quite awhile and have been doing everything possible to increase supply -- pumping after feeding, domperidone, just to name a couple. My supply seemed to be increasing, but a couple of weeks ago took a substantial dive. My question is this -- I've been feeding my 4.5 mo old whenever he's hungry, including up to 5-6 times a night. When he nurses at night, he nurses awhile and then we both go back to sleep until he wakes up again, 1.5-2 hours later ready to nurse again, and same thing, he nurses, and we go back to sleep. What I'm wondering is, is it possible that he's not emptying the breast each little feeding at night, making my body produce less overall? Anyone ever experience this? I'm thinking of getting out of bed after nursing him and pumping the rest out just to make sure....

Quote Originally Posted by henny
    Hi joyfulmama

I'm also desperately trying to increase my milk supply. May i know which specific "Motherlove" products hv u tried? Where do u buy them from?

Thanks!
    The product that I used was "more milk special blend". I got it through a lady who sells breastfeeding apparel and rents pumps, but I have also seen it at health food stores. I think you can also order from them directly. Try this:

http://www.motherlove.com/products_extracts.php

Or though other online vitamin shops:
    http://www.luckyvitamin.com/759160580081.html

They come in two sizes. I know, it's expensive, but it helped me out and it lasts a long time! I hope that helps you a little!!! Also try some of those pumping techniques if you can...that helped a lot for me too!!!

quote=diana24]Hello! I have a question regarding milk supply. I am only producing an ounce, sometimes half an ounce. I pump or my baby sucks every 2 hours. The time spent is about 10 min. on each breast. I drink about 10 glasses of water/juice/milk. I took fenugreek (6 tabs. per day) for the last 4 weeks. I am taking prenatal, iron, brewer's yeast, and I eat pretty well. Is there anything else I can do? Is it possible to still get a good milk supply, my baby is four weeks old?[/quote]

Hi Diana
    You may already have a good milk supply!
    Here is how to tell:
    For the next 24 hours, keep a record of how many wet and poopy diapers your baby makes.
    If you are getting 6-8 wet ones and 1-3 poopy ones, you are doing fine.

How old is your baby?
    Has your baby been weighed lately?
    Most babies gain about 4-8 oz a week form the time they are 1 week old to 4 months old.

Is your baby happy and healthy?
    Are you feeding her whenever she shows hunger cues, like waving her hands or rooting around?
    Are you letting her finish the first breast before offerering her the other one? This will make sure that she gets the higher-calorie milk that she needs for growth.

Look at the baby, not the clock
    Imagine that you are going out for a nice dinner in a restaurant with a friend. The server is standing over you with a stop watch. After 10 mins, he removes your plates: you have finished eating, but your friend has not!
    There is no way to tell how much a baby has eaten by looking at the clock, is there? But we CAN see how much is coming out and check weight gains on the scale!

If you are doing all that I have suggested and you can still pump an ounce afterwards, you have a MORE than adequate supply!
    Remember, your baby's tummy is the same size as her fist.
    She can only take in tiny quantities of milk at a time.
    That is why she needs to eat so often!

If your baby is NOT producing enough wet and poopy diapers and is NOT gaining enough weight, THEN you need to increase your supply.

Your breasts only make more milk when milk is removed.
    If your baby is nursing about every two hours, that sounds fine.
    However, she may not not be nursing effectively!
    There could be a number of reasons for this. The best way to find out what is going on is to SEE a LLL Leader in person so that she can evaluate a feeding. This is not something we can do by email

To find a local La Leche League Group or Leader, please go to:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/contact.html
    If you don’t see a Group near you, call the nearest Leader, because not all Groups are listed

Drinking more water does NOT increase supply. In fact, if you drink too much, your supply decreases. All you need to do is to drink when you are thirsty!

Fenugreek does help some mothers increase their milk. You need to take enough that you begin to smell like maple syrup - the amount varies with each person. You should not take fenugreek if you have asthma or some other medical conditions.
    PLEASE CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TAKING ANY HERBS OR DRUGS!

Diana - please let us know if these suggestions work for you.

warmly,
    LLLnormaR

Oatmeal affected my supply more than I knew--I had to eliminate it for food allergy reasons, and my supply dropped for the first time ever. I was very surprised.

I took fenugreek and nursed like crazy for 2 days, and my supply rebounded (only took the fenugreek for those 2 days). But a big bowl of oatmeal every morning may go a long way towards helping some with supply.

Default Re: Night feeding becoming a problem?

Hi acergrrl

May I ask why you think your milk supply is low? Can you give me some details?

But to answer your question, no night nursing certainly wouldn't be contributing to a lower milk supply. It will actually help to increase your milk supply because Prolactin (a hormone that helps you make milk) levels are higher at night. The breast never truly "empties", because you're making milk all the time. As long as the baby is frequently removing milk from the breast, you will continue to make milk, even if he doesn't remove every last little bit that's in there every time.

Hope that helps!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!