Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying it again!

Default Trying it again!

Hi, I'm new to these threads, but not so new to breastfeeding. I have a son that just turned 2 last month, and I am due in early July with son number 2. I had many problems with my first son, and I'm getting a little worried that I am going to end up with the same this time.
    My son Caleb, didn't seem to latch well so I went to see a lactation consultant. She did help and I thought things were getting better, but they didn't. He soon was having trouble again which let to severe pain for me. I went back several times and even had his tongue clipped (the skin that connects his tongue to the bottom) to try to help his latch. Nothing helped, I ended up cracked and bleeding, which quickly led to thrush. I had such sharp pains when I would nurse, it would shoot down my arm.
    After trying ointments and shields and you name it, I had to give in and pump instead of nurse. He had the bottle from day 1 so he did well, but for me my nipples were so damaged that even pumping was painful. He nursed for 4 months and I pumped for another 5 before I just dried up.
    I guess I just want to hear that not all babies nurse the same and that my sensitive nipples won't neccissarily be a problem again. Do you have any tips to keep my nipples 'strong'? I'm not washing them with soap and I have Hydrocordizone Ointment and an anti-fungal cream on hand. Any suggestions?
    Thanks, Calebsmom1

Default Re: Trying it again!

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble you had before. But it's awesome that your son got breast milk for so long! I only have 1 baby, so I can't answer whether you'll have the same problems again, but I wanted to recommend Lansinoh cream for when your new baby arrives. my lactation consultant said it was basically chapstick for your nipples. It worked great for me and I never had dry, cracks or anything. I don't think it will help if you have a latching problem, but when your nipples are just getting used to everything, it works great. Good luck and keep us posted about your new little one!

go to a LLL meeting before the baby comes and get to know your lOcal LLL Leader. heres the link

http://www.lllusa.org/web/Nebraska.html
    Not all babies have troubles and sometimes mom learns with each baby.
    Read all you can about getting off to a good start.
    If you think the new baby is tounge tied get somebody to clip it right away!
    you can do it !

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBearlyweeks.html

I 2nd what Andrea said! Go to a LLL meeting while pregnant!

I had many issue with my 1st daughter and I ended up pumping for about a month. I give you so much credit for pumping as long as you did! With my 2nd I had so many fears, like you yourself are having. But I attended LLL meetings while pregnant and read every BFing book I could! And I am now happily nursing my 6 month old! I had no real issues! You can do this! Stay positive. And you know what?, every baby is different! This LO may be a pro!