Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Supply going down.. mixed feelings

Unhappy Milk Supply going down.. mixed feelings

Hi,

I have an 11 month old boy and we are still nursing even though I never planned to do it beyond 3 months and I have been working FT for the last 8 months. I just got the hang of it and the months kept rolling by! I have been pumping twice at work since Dec and I nurse him at nights and weekends. I had planned to start weaning him when he turned 1 so I am ready and at the same time I am not. Unfortunately I started to notice that my supply is going down. I used to be able to pump 8 - 10oz each time, and now I get 3 or 4 if Im lucky.

I have mixed feelings about it to say the least, I am sure I will enjoy the fact that I dont have to carry the machine around with me all day but at the same time I am going to miss the time I spend with my son.

Anyone else going thru this?

Default Re: Milk Supply going down.. mixed feelings

Forgot to mention that we have the issue that my son does not like the taste of formula.. he won't have anything to do with it.. so unless I start him on cow's milk not sure what I am going to do if my supply keeps dropping and I don't have time to wean with care and taking the time I wanted to originally.

Have you checked your pump? Sometimes pumps lose effectiveness over time.

I would like you to know, too, that even if your pumping output is decreasing, it doesn't neccessarily mean that your total milk production is decreasing. Even if it is, it doesn't mean that you have to wean suddenly. You can still take your time!

What should I look for to know if my pump has lost effectiveness?

My main concern is that my baby may not be getting what he should because of my milk production going down, and him not wanting to try formula. :-(

The pump bladders aren't designed to last a year, so you might look at replacing those.

You can have your pump checked by the manufacturer. Most of the time, they can do this over the phone, or they will give you a location to take it to.

You shouldn't worry unless your son wants more than you can provide. Just give him what you are able to pump for day care and then let him drink water or water/juice if he wants more to drink and nurse him on demand at home. As long as he is still gaining weight he is most likely getting what he needs. My son only nurses 2-3 times, sometimes more, in 24 hours which concerns me. He has gone on strikes where he doesn't nurse at all for a few days! My doctor is not concerned because he is still gaining weight and still nursing some. The doctor said as little as two times is OK. Since he isn't nursing much and I can't make him, my doctor wanted me to make sure he is getting his nutrients by his solids--fruits, vegetables, cheese, yogurt & meats. Of course if you want your supply up you may want to feed less solids and see if it makes your son nurse more. Decreasing solids didn't make much difference with my son he just got fussier. My son does not like formula either although I did try the premixed soy formula once and he did drink some of it--I guess because it is sweeter than the whey milk formula. I got scared away by all the stuff I read about the estrogens in soy being like giving a baby birth control and the high levels of maganese so I stopped. It seems everything I read just makes me scared or makes me feel guilty. My doctor said that soy formula is perfectly safe but I don't think enough research has been done on the subject to really know and I don't want to chance it. He will only drink a little expressed milk by a sippy cup (less than an ounce) at a time so I end up throwing most of it out. I just wanted to write to tell you not to worry so much about it as long as your son is happy. My son prefers water to expressed breast milk. It is normal for your supply to be decreasing some since your son is probably eating more solids and the pump won't keep up your supply the same way nursing will. Many infants in day care will take up night nursing if they are allowed to and not nurse or drink expressed milk all day until they see Mommy. Most days I can only pump 4 oz max. at any one sitting. My supply drops before my period starts. Other days I can pump 8oz and the next day I may only be able to pump an ounce total at one sitting so your situation may be temporary. Plus your baby gets more when he nurses than you can pump. I plan to return to work in a couple of weeks and I'm not going to provide milk for day care (830-430). I imagine he will continue his night nursing until I have him weaned. I'm not an expert--just telling you my experience. Best of luck to you and yours. Hey--youv'e almost made it a year! Congrats!
    Last edited by glennysmom; April 5th, 2006 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks for your post Glennysmom.. I makes me feel better. My son is indeed eating a lot and not having any issues. He loves to eat and drinks water and juice as well. Actually he must be 25 pounds already.. he is big for his age.. We have his 1year appointment in a few weeks and I'll discuss with the doctor the situation. I think he is ok it is just me worrying over everything! I'll keep pumping and giving him what little I can until we switch to cow's milk..

Thanks for the support!
    Last edited by Mom2Gustavo; April 6th, 2006 at 07:45 AM.