Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help!

Default help!

Please help! I have a two month old son. I went back to work at six weeks and have been trying to pump. My milk supply seems to be going down no matter what I do. I am considering trying the mothers milk tea but worried about the risks. Is there anything that I can do to get my milk back up to where it should be? I tried pumping more and nursing more but it doesn't seem to be working. My dh thinks that I should just switch him to the bottle with formula but this is our last baby so I would like to nurse as long as possible. If anyone out there has some advice it would be much appricated.

Thanks!

Mama to three very busy boys!

Default Re: help!

Welcome! Going from nursing to pumping can be challenging. I have been there myself. First, try to stay relaxed. The more you worry, the more it will affect your supply. When you are pumping, try looking at a picture of your lo, sip something hot and relax. Try not to stare at the bottle waiting for a let down (I am bad at that), it usually slows things down. A lot of moms here swear by mothers milk tea & fenugreek. But I heard the GNC fenugreek brand does not work as well as from other places. I eat a lot of oatmeal, which has helped. Marymud posted an oatmeal cookie recipe on another thread which I need to try myself. Look at the threads in the pumping section, there is a lot of info there. Check out this link. This helped me a lot.

I know how frustrating it can be. But hang in there. If you are committed, you can make it work. Don't give up & try to stay relaxed. You will find a lot of support here.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Here is Marymud's recipe. Sounds good!

Housepoet's Famous Lactation Boosting Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip & Flaxseed cookies (created by Noel Pickett noel@clubmuse.com)
    Ingredients :

* 1 cup butter or marg
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 1 cup brown sugar
    * 4 tablespoons water
    * 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal*
    * 2 large eggs
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla
    * 2 cups flour
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
    * 1 cup or more chocolate chips (or raisins)
    * 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast* (be generous)

Directions:

Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Serves: 6 dozen cookies

Preparation time: 15 minutes

*can be found at any local health food store.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

thanks for the help! I will have to definitly try that recipe. This weekend being off of work has helped. I have the same bad habit of watching the bottle too! I guess a watched bottle never fills. lol! I am planning on attending my first meeting next wednsday. Its frustrating since this is the only baby that I have had to pump for. But thanks again for the advice and support!

Hi There,
    So sorry things have not been going well!

What kind of pump are you using? New or used?

When you say that you have tried pumping more and nursing more, how much exactly? When?

Did you breastfeed any other children? For how long?

Are you on birth control?

Any chance you are pregnant?

Any health problems? Complications with your delivery?

Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to get a better picture.

I am using a new pump, its a elec. double pump made by learning curves. I have had issues with it lately, but can't afford a better one.
    I have been excl. nursing at night, and trying to nurse when I am home during the day. The times when he is getting the supplement is when he is at daycare or at home without me. I try to pump when I can for at least 30 mins. But still only getting about 2 to 4 oz.
    To answer your other questions:

No, not on b/c my husband is fixed
    No, not preganant, got my period back a couple of weeks ago
    My First son bf until he was almost 9 months old and my second only bf for five weeks (he was premature and had jandice)
    No, complications with my preganancy or delivery, he wasn't having nursing issues until I went back to work.
    Hope that answers all your questions. I am going to try the mothers milk tea, and I am nursing on demand on both sides to try to increase my milk. We have our good days and our bad days. Today is not a good day for milk production, but I am not going to give up!

my supply drops right around my period. it doesnt sound like you are experiencing that.

Things that help me are eating oatmeal for breakfast and i do drink mother's milk tea occasionally. OH - and those cookies are GReAT. My whole family loves them (except the LO, but I'm sure she would like them if she could eat them)

Well, I took lo to his two month check up yesterday. He must be eating well since he has almost doubled his birthweight! I picked up the mothers milk tea yesterday and had a cup, Last night was a good night for nursing yea! Thank you for all the support and feedback it is much appricated!

I used the Mother's Milk tea & it worked great. I only drank one cup a day & didn't need any more. I know it's stressful, but it doesn't always mean you have to quit nursing. Also stay away from Sage & Parsley, they decrease milk production. Good luck & keep us posted.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker