Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many time a day do you give solids?

Question How many time a day do you give solids?

How many time a day do you give solids? Currently we only give solids at night. She will eat about 1 tbs of cereal and 2 tabs of a veggie or fruit. We are using purees and squished up fresh food and rice baby cereal. We are starting slow because I want her to keep nursing and not jump into mostly solids like some people do (not that either way is better it is just my preference). She is now eating fresh bananas and baked sweet potato (squished up), carrots and peas (Earth's Best Organic baby food in little glass jars). For cereal she eats the Earth's Best Organic rice cereal mixed with breast milk.

When do we need to start giving her "solids" more than once a day? She wants to eat what we have every time she sees us eat but we do not want to give her out big people food yet.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: How many time a day do you give solids?

I started to give my son solids once a day. Then slowly increased it to twice a day (lunch and dinner), and with little snacks in-between. He hasn't decreased his breastmilk intake with the introduction of solids. In fact, we are still breastfeeding every 2 hours or so, same as before.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

I started my daugher on solids around 7 months and she's now 9 months and eats about half a jar of fruit for breakfast and little pieces of whatever we're eating that's safe for her for her dinner. We skipped rice cereal and started her out on "big people food" right away. It's worked fine for us
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

My son is 5 1/2 months and we've been giving him about 1T of homemade sweet potatos at night around dinner time for a couple of weeks now. He LOVES them, but I think now we're just in the "practice" stage. After 6 months, we'll begin more frequent feedings. Right now, no effect in BF or sleep patters. I've read a few articles and it seems like after 6 months, it should be 3 times/day but still only very small amounts 1-2oz at each meal.

Once or twice a day, I make up a mixture of EMB, sweet potato and rice cereal to thicken it. He loves it!

My lo is almost seven months... we started solids when she was six month old... and she loves it. I had to nicely explain to the day care that I wanted my lo to eat solids only once a day.... waouhhhh, picture the look on their face. They really wanted to give her more, but have been listening... So she eats solids once a day (lunch)... I am not in a hurry to increase, except that she really likes it. I am thinking of giving her finger foods at dinner.

I was wondering the SAME thing...

My twin girls are almost 6 months. We've been doing rice cereal for about 2 weeks with one and less than a week with the other (totally based my decision to start on their cues of readiness). I do either one or two a day; just introduced sweet potato with the one and not yet with the other. The "eater" is a serious eater! She opens her mouth SUPER wide, just like a little bird The other is pretty much SOOOO not interested...still going really slow with her.

I don't really know when to up the feedings...was thinking over the next 2 weeks. What do you all think?

My DS is 8.5 mo right now and we recently started trying to offer him solids twice a day. If there's time in the morning, he'll have "breakfast" with me before going off to day care / work. In the evening we try to get in another round of solids. My LO is eating very little in the way of solids right now and we're taking a very laid-back approach of offering food (usually self-fed) and then not worrying how much actually makes it into his mouth and gets swallowed. Since my LO isn't eating alot of solids yet I figured that more frequent exposure / practice may help him get into the routine of eating as well as help improve his pincer grip & coordination skills. We're definitely focusing more on experimentation, practice, and trying new foods rather than the quantity he eats.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

We were slow with going beyond one meal a day -- we went on a family vacation when our lo was 9 months old, and that's really when he started eating more than once a day -- I still only fixed cereal for one meal, and we'd make him his own veggie for dinner, but he'd just snack small bites of what we were eating or Os the other times we ate. He was closer to a year before we were really "doing" three meals a day. He still gets BM for most snacks at almost 16 mo.