Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Referred to a feeding clinic!

Default Re: Referred to a feeding clinic!

My lo was the same way so i know it's hard. Everyone was shocked that she was not eating and she just didn't want to. And you can't make them.
    She is 8 months now it took two months. Just keep thinking that your lo will eat. Nobody knows an adult that is exclusively nursing. lol (At least i hope not)
    Hang in there

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Sounds to me like he is a rather healthy lil' fellow at 26 lbs! I just wanted to add the thought that at least going to the Feeding Clinic to see what they have to offer might not be such a horrible thing. You can find out what type of guildlines they are working off of, what sort of advice they have in general and specifically, if they are pro-breastfeeding, why they think the doctor might have referred you guys (did you personally report that he is a reluctant eater or did the doc see him trying to eat? maybe the doc routinely refers any baby whose mom asks about solids to the clinic?), etc. Then, you have the information, you can compare it to other info you have, such as the LLL info, and see if you find any of it valid.

Now, this is certainly projecting my own feelings onto your situation, but I just wanted to say that being referred to someone who can give you more advice and maybe some help in NO WAY indicates that you have failed to any degree!!! Why oh why do we mothers burden ourselves like that? You have loving provided your son the best of care and you are continually seeking the best for him. Trust your instincts, I say! You are obviously doing your darndest. YAY for you for keeping up with full time work & full time BF! Good luck with all of this!

Goodness! Thank you all so very much for your wisdom and kindness. Immediately after posting and reading peoples responses I felt a wave of relief. Now, of course, my spring break is over- I'm a teacher- and I'm back to the grind of work and mothering. I have realized though that my milk supply may have been lessening of late BECAUSE of my anxiety about his eating, and so I'm trying to focus my energy on what I CAN do as a BF mother and that is to pay close attention to my diet, hydrate and relax I've checked out the recommended links and SO appreciated the additional information and references. Bedtime with baby is calling so I have to dash, but I'll post most questions and responses soon. Happy mothering and again, many thanks!

Does your LO grab everything and anything and put it to his mouth??

If so, maybe you could try peeling and giving a whole apple to him. That was suggested to me by a mom on this forum, because I wanted to try some of the "baby led solids".

My LO loves just fiddling with the apple, touching it, mouthing it, etc. and it seems like since he's been doing that, he's really become interested in solids altogether.

Also my nursery has worked really hard with him, and been very patient. I think they've really paved the way for solids more than I have because I mainly nurse when I'm with my LO. At first he refused any fruits/veggies, but now they mix them with oatmeal and he's very happy with his meals.

AND....I found out that a rubber tipped spoon made all the difference for my LO. He consistently refused any other spoon (I really thought he was refusing the food until I switched spoons). I think it feels so much better on his teeth, and I see "bite marks" on the spoons he uses.

Good luck!

Just getting back to some of the fabulous feedback...

Quinn will occasionally eat a bit of pureed food, say, 1/8 tsp. or on a miracle occasion 1 tsp. When we eat as a family, he'll take what we put in front of him and try it out in his mouth.

We have 7 teeth already and it seems like, yes, his teething process is ever-present. It's quite possible, as someone suggested, that he simply isn't eating due to that.

Yes, he puts everything in his mouth. He brings his mouth to things to chew them, and brings things to his mouth. He loves to chew on the baby spoon I give him during his "meal" times.

The apple idea is great-- I'll try that for sure!

The new/old stress is that he's very hungry it seems, but my milk supply is lower than in the past. With work, the stress of his solids "issues" and the fear of being bitten/the pain of teeth placement, I think I've reduced my supply and so that fear perpetuates the other fears which... you get the picture. I drink tons of water, get as much rest as I can while night nursing a hungry baby, and eat OK while taking vitamins. I think I have to find another forum about biting and milk supply... We just sent off the feeding clinic packet and we'll hear soon about an appt. date. I'll keep you in the loop-- thanks for the responses and keep them coming if others have additional ideas Many thanks!

My daughter will be 8 months in a week and weighs 18 pounds. I think you will be fine, but I know how much mommies worry . Good luck.

Indeed! Wouldn't it be nice if the amount of worrying we did corresponded to our milk supply? I say that only because mine has gone done considerably since I've had to return to work and naturally, being away from him more often makes me worry even more.

We are, in our Early Childhood classes, the biggest baby. He is actually 31 inches long right now, exactly half of my height at not even 10 months. The wild thing is that he's still developmentally very much a baby, and not even crawling yet. Digressing, I know.

We're headed back to our pediatrician tomorrow to check out a leaky eye; hopefully we can be weighed and compare it against our 9 month visit. If he's gained, my mind and heart will relax a bit before we head to the feeding clinic.