Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Referred to a feeding clinic!

Smile Referred to a feeding clinic!

Hello other beloved mothers/experts,

I am the proud mother to Quinn, a bountiful 26 pound baby boy. At our recent 9 month pediatrician visit, we were distressed to learn that because Quinn is a reluctant eater of solids we were referred to the local Children's Hospitals Feeding Clinic. Now, we're terribly anxious that he's not getting the nutrients he needs and is "starved" for the solids his body requires. I work full-time and have been coming home over lunch to nurse because he refuses to take a bottle. We've been trying solids since my maternity leave ended in Dec. but he's simply not interested and turns away, etc. We introduced the sippy cup a couple months ago but he's still learning the ropes with that too. Quinn is teething rapidly and with each new tooth he goes through a phase of painful teeth placement when nursing. It usually lasts about a week until he figures out how to hold his mouth, but I am "nursing" some wounds and at the same time worried about how much he's getting, the solids issue, the upcoming appt. (only after we fill out an enormous amount of paperwork including a food log of what he eats)...

And, it seems that my internalization of this stress and anxiety about not providing for him makes let-down more difficult. We're trying to socialize the eating experience (family dinner), I've now purchased a slew of baby yogurts, frozen organic veggies and fruits, crackers, etc. thinking maybe he's a baby that will bypass the pureed stuff, but our pediatician said perhaps the issue is textures. We were (shame on us) lax with the vitamin D because he hated it so much, but are now newly vigilant because of the peds concerns.

Seeking input and support around solids, working outside of the home and full-time nursing, the teething challenges to nursing, and any other anecdotal help.

Many, many thanks.

Becky

Default Re: Referred to a feeding clinic!

Welcome! You have come to the right place for support. I don't have any advice but just wanted to tell you to hang in there. Everything is going to work out.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

When my son was nine months and doing pretty much what yours is doing, I was told that he nutritionally didn't need more than breastmilk. But my milk supply was a little low for his demands, so he was gaining weight slower than I wish he had been (see my thread). I think maybe you're worrying too much, but at the same time, you are doing all the right things.

26 lbs at 9 months....??? I would not worry about anything, and would not worry about doing solids for anything more than fun until he shows an interest in them.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

Thanks for the kind words and support. Yep, 26 pounds at 9 months. He's 31 inches tall (half of my height, by the way) too. On one hand, I marvel at and adore his full figure, but that's also where some of my concern comes from: Can I nourish this fellow?

Again, thanks to the responses and comments!

Hello Becky,
    I am not a doctor but in my opinion as long as your baby is triving on your milk, gaining weight, and meeting his milestones I would not be worried about solids intake (I know... easier said than done). My understanding is that bm should be the primary source of nutrition during the first year of life. Also, many babies skip the pureed/jarred food altogether and are more interested in self-feeding or eating grown-ups food.

It seems your are on the right track by offering variety of foods and including your LO in your meals. Have you tried letting him self-feed or offering food from your plate? Also, if you have any doubts about the advise of your pedi I would definitely ask for a second opinion.

HTH and keep us posted

Borislava

Mama to Ana-Maria ~ May, 25th 2006

Smile Re: Referred to a feeding clinic!

It sounds like your little boy is doing great on breast milk but I am a first time mom and I know very little. I just wanted to say it sounds like you are doing great!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I just want pass on what my wonderful pediatrician said about solids during the first year: they're just for experimentation and trying out new oral motor skills. I wouldn't worry at all about your son's eating habits. Some babies just prefer the breast for longer than others. He'll get into eating solids one of these days. My daughter started slow with solids, and now she's a total piggy for them! Also, 26 lbs? Wow!!! Good for you, mama!

Hi there! I'm going to try to link to a few previous threads (in this forum and the feeding your family one) about this issue. I have a son with feeding issues (oral sensitivity/aversion) and we went to a feeding clinic (actually are still going). At 9 months with a baby that is obviously thriving, though, there may not be too much to worry about at this point. You will likely get many responses from moms on these boards whose babies weren't all that interested in solids until closer to a year old. There are some warning signs to look for in regard to the texture/sensitivity problems. Read through the links and feel free to post more questions or PM me.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...=oral+aversion

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=7023

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=17741

I agree with the other moms that I don't think your DS has a problem.

I also have a couple of questions for you to help put it in perspective. Does he eat anything (solids) at all? Is there any solid food that he likes at all and will put in his mouth and eat? If there is, then I guess I wouldn't be too concerned. When babies are just learning to eat solids, they don't eat much...a couple tablespoons full is usually considered a good meal....at least before age 1 anyway.

Also, you mentioned he's been teething alot. That in itself is a reason why alot of babies slack off on solids. IT HURTS TO CHEW FOOD!!!!!(in some cases) Even after a tooth pops out, there may be other areas in the mouth that hurt because other teeth are moving down.

At 26 lbs, you're obviously providing top notch nourishment, but if you want to try a different approach, I'd suggest giving him what you're eating (providing its appropriate for his age and not too salty etc.). If you want, just put a variety of what you're eating on his tray at meal times when you're all at the table. Then let him self feed himself what he wants to try. Try to take a backseat, and let him be in charge of what he puts in his mouth. If he has control, maybe he'll feel better about trying new things and liking solids.

My youngest son never ate jarred baby food, and it was WAY easier to get him to eat his veggies when he got the real thing, and not pureed (although until 7.5 mos. or so, we squished all his food with a fork...after that, it was small pieces), as they tasted good, and like they should, so there was no difference when he got older, KWIM.

I think personally, I would also seek out a different doctor at a different medical center and discuss it with them since its concerning you...just make sure they're pro-breastfeeding. It really sounds like your doctor jumped on this, and I've never heard that it could be that much of a problem at 9 mos....maybe if he was over a year old, and losing weight and not wanting to put anything in his mouth...but not at 9 mos....I think it warrants a 2nd opinion from someone not associated with this doctor.