Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids and distractable babies

Default Solids and distractable babies

Hello there - I don't quite know what to do about my 11-month son's eating. I have a pretty bad relationship with food and so I really want to avoid creating any bad habits for him. All the books recommend that you don't force food on your child and be happy whether he eats anything or not. But the problem I have is that he is so amazingly distractable - he always wants to be playing, and is only happy in his chair for a few minutes before he wants to get down and play again. This applies not only to solids but also to breast or bottle. If you keep at him over a long period (ie. with bottle or keeping him strapped into chair) he will end up eating, not a lot, but probably somewhere near average. But if I go entirely with his signs (lack of interest, turning away head etc), this guy is hardly ever going to eat anything.

What do you think should I do? Really just go with his signs and be happy if he eats virtually nothing (even milk)? Stick to a fixed time limit, like 30 mins or something?

Appreciate your advice!

dri

ps. DS has always been mostly self-fed, will hardly ever take anything from a spoon unless he REALLY likes it! He's also pretty fussy - won't eat many things over a period of more than 2-3 days.

Default Re: Solids and distractable babies

are you eating together as a family?

that helps sometimes. Let him self feed and graze thats ok...

Default Re: Solids and distractable babies

We try to eat together but sometimes it's a challenge, particularly in the evenings as I tend to come home too late from work. Dad is caregiver. Even when we eat together, though, it doesn't seem to help too much.

Do you think then that he'll just start focusing on eating at a later stage?

Thanks!