Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids and timing

Default Solids and timing

In anther thread, Erin pointed out a good article for introducing solids:

Quote Originally Posted by LLLErin
    I also like this article: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html I really like their tip about offering the breast before solids so that they fill up on your milk, that is where the essential nutrients are.
    Now Here is my question:

I have read a lot of people here saying they mash up foods from their plate - within reason - and give to baby in small amounts.

Now this article says to introduce foods one at a time, in one week time spans. Now the reasoning is to watch for allergic reactions. But really - how ,any people here eat the same thing for a week solid themselves? So do you make sure you have a little of the same thing on your plate for a week - or do you do it differently?

Thanks!

Default Re: Solids and timing

Thank you for asking this question, I was wondering the same thing. Our DD is 7 months old & I wanted to start her w/ mashed up food when she's ready, but had the same concern. Can't wait for responses!

I think that by the time that your child has become ready for mashed foods, he/she would have already tried alot of different pureed foods and those are the ones that you could mash and feed off of your plate. Any new foods would be cooked/given separately to your child. I have two children with food allergies and that is how I did it.

Hi Claire and Hope,

If I understand you correctly, you are thinking about just going straight to table foods and wondering how you are going to serve sweet pototoes every night for a week, right? I understand your confusion on how to do this and I admire the fact that you have waited til your children were older to offer solids. You will find they will be ready to move right to table foods and there really is no reason to feed them pureed things. You might want to check out this thread. You may have done so already, but the moms are discussing similar thoughts.

http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=1683

What you can do to avoid having to serve the whole family the same things every night for a week is cook up and freeze a few "tried and true" favorites, whatever db's do ok with the first time. That way, you can have a few other things on hand, while you are "testing the waters" with new foods. Does this make sense? Please let me know and I can go into more detail!

i have been very successful with starting my DD on solids. I started her at almost 6 months and she is 8 months now. what I do is buy organic vegetables and chicken for her and make her food separately. cook it, puree or mash it and jar it. I make enough for a couple of days. She sits at dinner table with us.I'm a single mom and living with my parents so it's a crowd at the dinner table. I feed her food first and then hand her a piece of fruit or whole grain bagel while I eat. that way she learns table manner and social skills and feels a part of the dinner table and at the same time she eats healthy and organic as I can't dictate the dinner menu for the rest of the family.
    I rotate the veggies that go in to her soap. new vegetables or foods get introduced one at a time before getting added to the reg. menu due to food allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by 2_under_two
    I think that by the time that your child has become ready for mashed foods, he/she would have already tried alot of different pureed foods and those are the ones that you could mash and feed off of your plate. Any new foods would be cooked/given separately to your child. I have two children with food allergies and that is how I did it.
    Right - I would understand this approach - but a lot of moms here are saying they wait till the child is 6, 7 or 8 months old to even introduce solids, and at this point they *start* doing the mashed up foods.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLKate
    Hi Claire and Hope,

If I understand you correctly, you are thinking about just going straight to table foods and wondering how you are going to serve sweet pototoes every night for a week, right? I understand your confusion on how to do this and I admire the fact that you have waited til your children were older to offer solids. You will find they will be ready to move right to table foods and there really is no reason to feed them pureed things. You might want to check out this thread. You may have done so already, but the moms are discussing similar thoughts.

http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=1683

What you can do to avoid having to serve the whole family the same things every night for a week is cook up and freeze a few "tried and true" favorites, whatever db's do ok with the first time. That way, you can have a few other things on hand, while you are "testing the waters" with new foods. Does this make sense? Please let me know and I can go into more detail!
    Thank you so much - this did help!