Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Allergy to protein in breastmilk?

Question Allergy to protein in breastmilk?

I have a 10 month old and we have been struggling with starting solids since 6 months old. This week we finally saw a pediatric gastroenterologist and he believes that DS has a minor sensitivity to a protein in my breastmilk, and that is what is irritating his stomach and also causing the constipation. DS is growing well. He has said to continue nursing ( I would have done this anyway) and continue solids, but I am still confused by this and wondering if anyone has heard of this, and what I can do to help it. MD recommended apple juice, few oz. a day, but I'm not sure I want to get DS started on apple juice as he only now has water and breastmilk. I'm just confused and wondering if anyone else has heard of this. I haven't been able to find anything out there on this condition.

Default Re: Allergy to protein in breastmilk?

I wish I could offer some real help but the only thing I can think of is did he say that it is a protein that YOU are making, or one that is just being passed through the breastmilk from consumption? I only ask because I have never heard of a baby being intollerant to breastmilk, just what can pass through based on what you are eating. Have you cut out all dairy yet? And I mean even stuff that contains milk proteins like casein? ALL dairy upsets ds's tummy even when it is labled lactose free. You might try watching that for a week if you haven't already, you would be amaized where dairy shows up. Did they say why apple juice? If it is a must, I would go with a natural organic brand but am not sure why they would recommend it.

What kind of stomach problems? When did they start (any relation to the solids, or your ds isn't eating solids??)?

I have a dairy allergy so DS gets no dairy whatsoever, as I am careful about this for myself. MD said that he had a sensitivity to a protein that I am producing and not one that is passing through the breastmilk. I have eliminated so much from my diet but am considering trying the Dr. Sears elimination diet.

Also, DS is eating minimal solids, maybe 3TB a day total, and has problems with 4-5 days between bowel movements and painful movements, but not hard.

Thanks for any and all thoughts on this!