Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do we have to?

Default Do we have to?

Is it a must to introduce solids at 4-6 months? Can we wait for as long as a year? When is it absolutely necessary to feed your baby something other than breast milk when you have a healthy child?

I have asked these questions numerous times and researched millions of times. They always suggest around 4-6 months, some say no earlier than 6 months... but is it a must to even do it?

Also, I do not want my baby to take the vitamin supplements... Does she really need it if I am eating a balanced meal? My doctor prescribed this to my daughter when she does not have any medical conditions that indicate her needing supplements. What is recommended?

Default Re: Do we have to?

No, you don't have to! 6 months is the earliest to introduce anything...most current sources say this. After that, you should follow your baby's lead. Like try something and see what her reaction is. If she doesn't seem interested, wait awhile longer. We did a baby-led approach (no spoon-feeding purees), and DS is just getting into eating more. We don't even give him solids every single day...depends on what we're up to. He really became more interested at about 8 1/2 months when he got really good at the pincer grasp...now he feeds himself cheerios, crackers. He likes bananas, broccoli, and other fruits. But still mostly mama's milk!!

Solids are mostly just for learning/experimenting until 12 months...breastmilk is providing them with everything they need.

As for vitamins, it's really up to you...we're not giving DS anything. As long as your LO gets some sunshine to cover the vitamin D need, she should be good.
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

Thank You So Much! I have been waiting for an answer like this. I even asked a nutritionist what she recommended and she would not say anything but "getting use to texture"... You cleared it all up!

most of the stuff written about starting soilds was written by...
    baby food companies they want you to buy jar after jar of their over priced foods.

heres a good link also
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr01p64solids.html

something from that link
    All of these variations on infant feeding help to show us that there is never just one way to make the transition to solids. La Leche League recommends that you watch your baby and look for cues from him. Then you make a transition that works for your baby.

Starting at 6 months is so that baby will experiment with different textures which will make it easier to transition later. But to my knowledge babies need to start eating some iron-rich foods by 9 months because BM is no longer sufficient in that respect after that age. I give my son some meat (which he loves!) a couple of times a week for that reason but we are faaar away from the recommended amount of solids for his age. He is still mostly on BM day and night

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html
    heres something about iron from kelly moms..
    MYTH: Baby needs to start solids because there is not enough iron in breastmilk.
    An additional reason given for starting solids is the "lack of iron in breastmilk." Breastmilk does have lower iron levels than formula, but the iron in breastmilk is more readily absorbed by the baby's gut than the iron in formula. Also, formula-fed babies tend to lose iron through fissures that develop in their intestines as a result of damage from cow's milk. Breastfed babies do not lose this iron. Sometime after the first 6 months (much later for a lot of babies), most babies will require an additional source of iron other than mother's milk. This can most often be obtained through small amounts of solid food. Read more on iron and the breastfed baby here: Is Iron Supplementation Necessary?.

and heres that link
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

YOu should feel no pressure to start right at 6months...but know that often even those of us who are up to 3 full meals a day and snack by the year mark are nervous about our ablilty to to feed our children a full balanced diet. It's one of the reasons I have embraced extended nursing. I could not imagine facing this challenge if I hadn't started the process sooner than the year mark. I did child led solids and just like with breastfeeding we wroked completely off his ques. All children are different but I don't know if you want to still be your child MAIN source of nutrition past the year point. My son is 15months old and he is a GREAT eater. 3meals and usually 3snacks and he still nurses 6-8x a day. What would that look like if I didn't feed him??? I shudder to think! That's the thing about the 6month mark. It gives you time to work and grow the eating experience. In the 6months between 6months and a year we went gradually from one thing once a day to 3meals all consisting of 4-5 things at a time and two or 3snacks. It took 6months. So it would seem like if you didn't really start solids until 12months it may take you until the 18month mark to get to the point where your child is eating 3meals a day. Just something to think about. I know the idea of solids is very intimidating. And the truth of the matter is it's very intense work. But I have to tell you, with child led solids I felt absolutely no pressure. I didn't prepare or make a bunch of stuff. Initally it was one thing and as time has gone on it's been more and more. But so much of it is what we are eating anyway that it didn't really get to be work until aftet the 9month mark. And by then I was soo engrossed in making sure he had choices and we were hitting the pyramind, and that I didn't get stuck in a rut I no longer had time to feel overwhelmed or intitmidated by it. I just thought I'd give you some stuff to think about in terms of why you may want to start to get started before the year point. But really, play. Have fun with it! You've got time.

Way too lazy for formula

Ok, so I may sound funny but child-led is just basically letting your child decide to eat solids? I am so new at all this and I have no family near me to help guide me... I ended up buying squash for her last night because she does act so interested in what I am doing...she would make a face after feeding it to her but then after she ate it, her smile was so big! Is it time to do the solid thing?

In this section go to Search and put in "Child Led" Or "Baby Led" and a bunch of threads will come up. And in most there is a link to the research. Child led means you don't feed the baby you let the baby feed themselves. So it's not a spoon led thing. It is a perfect compliment to breastfeeding because Breastfeeding is basically child led. In that we let them eat on demand and self regulate. This concept means only having children eat whole solid foods at thier won pace. If you follow the ques (Child must be able to sit up on their own, pincer grasp ect.)the research shows that childrens motor skills hand to mouth match. Meaning, if they can get it into thier own mouth then they can deal with it. And your nutritionist was right. Much of what they do with solids food ithe 1st 6months they are eating them does have ot do just with getting used to different textures and learning how to have food in their mouths. My son started putting food in his own mouth at around 6&1/2 months. He didn't start to SWALLOW food until about two and a half months later. Before that, he would taste it and chew it and eventually push most of it back out. But that's an important part of the learning process. They are learning how to deal with food on their own. Something they don't get with purees. Good luck researching. PM me if you have a hard time find the info(YOU WON'T) HTH!

Way too lazy for formula