Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bfing worries

Post Bfing worries

Hi all,
    As I read throu these bfing threads, lots of moms/newborns are feeding longer compare to the time I nurse my LO. He's 6wks old now, and only has been fed on average of 6-7 mins on one breast each time. He's on the dock every 3hrs. However, he sometimes feeds more if he skips one time, due to burping, poofing.

He's gaining weight and last doctor visit has no concern. Since he's staying on only 6mins, I don't know if he has enough. I tried to offer another breast, but LG didn't take it. Sometimes I confuse in reading his cues, he kept open his mouth, and I kept feeding him, to the end LO got throw up. He needed to burp instead.

It's been a month that I let my husband feeds him twice or three times a day just to get them bonded. However, recently I thought he didn't like my breast anymore. He only feeds for a little like 3 mins then off the breast. I tried to burp him and put him on again. He takes it then push it out, and we do this several times. This usually happens twice a day. I feel like it's a constant battle between us. It was not pleasant. We both didn't enjoy this. So I am pumping more now. I find it's easier. IF he didn't want it, I just put the bottle down, and offer later. Plus, I know how much I give him every feedings (He usually takes 2oz on average, the most is 3oz--)

I am still indecisive about exclusively pumping or just bfeeding and pumping. Now I bfeed and try to give him one oz at the end to see if LO take it. This method has not been established and my breast is off schedule too

Too much...

I hope it gets better when LO a bit older.

Default Re: Bfing worries

My LO is nine weeks old and has almost always only eaten for 10 minutes on one side every three hours or so...sometimes she will want to eat after two hours, but usually it is three hours. I was worried at first too, but she was 7 lbs 4 oz at birth and is 11 lbs now, so Ithink as long as you are getting enough wet and dirty diapers and poops are a mustard color and he is gaining he is probably just like my LO and is an efficient sucker! Good luck!

I'm in the same boat! IM breastfeeding exclusively. Especially during the day my LO (she's 2 months old) eats for 5 or 6 minutes on one breast at a time and then starts crying, she gets enough wet diapers and she's gaining weight but I have to say I rather have her eating more from each side. At night it's a different story. She takes only one breast but for longer.

I guess she is an efficient sucker too.

[QUOTE=T.Ethan;161887]

I am still indecisive about exclusively pumping or just bfeeding and pumping. Now I bfeed and try to give him one oz at the end to see if LO take it. This method has not been established and my breast is off schedule too
    [QUOTE]

I have exclusively pumped for my DD for 7 months. While pumping is great when as a new mom you want to know how many ounces your baby is getting...

You will also have to deal with sterlization of bottles and pump and when you want to sleep you have to wake up to pump, rather than BF from the breast while laying there next to daughter. Even if you dont co sleep it is easier at night to relieve the pressure from your baby than that noisy machine.
    If she didnt reach for me at birth I still wouldn't believe that she's all mine.

Terrible 2s dont exist... Who am I kidding?!?