Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mommy, I want what you have!

Default mommy, I want what you have!

DD has been showing interest in grownup food for a while now. She's just turned 5 mos., which is still too early (for me) to start her on solids. But, she's crazy about it! She's tried to steal food off my plate just about at every meal for the last 3 weeks. DH was eating some cookies the other day and she just swiped one from him and chomped on it DH took it right back and tried to wipe the crumbs out of her mouth. Then yesterday she was watching me drink (coffee) out of a mug. She's always liked the pattern on my favorite mug, so I didn't think anything of her intense interest in it... until she reached over and put the cup to her mouth and tried to drink. Luckily, it was empty.

Anyone else have eager little munchkins like mine? Could she really be ready for a little something more?
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

Default Re: mommy, I want what you have!

Sometimes (with aide from your ped) you have to let them lead the way.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

My DS was like that...very interested in what we were doing with the food...but once we started giving him some food to eat (waited until 6 months)...he mostly played with it (we thought, like your DD, that he would eat right away because of how interested he seemed)...didn't eat a whole lot for a long time. (We're doing a baby-led approach - no spoon feeding purees). He just got more interested in trying to really eat more. So even though she seems interested, she may just be curious what you are doing with the food.
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

Yeah, baby-led is what we're planning on. Who wants purees? I may start letting her play with more stuff soon.
    Rachel

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

Smile Re: mommy, I want what you have!

My LO started doing the same thing around 5 months too but we waited until 6 months to start solids. I just ate lunch with her nursing and she stopped nursing to try to get my food. Currently we only give solids at night. She will eat about 1 tbs of cereal and 2 tabs of a veggie or fruit. I do let he smell many of my foods but do not let her taste them just yet (except for the clove of garlic she bit when I was letting her smell it).
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

My lo has had a thing for playing with/grabbing our food since about 5 months too... he is now approaching 6 months this week and we have started to give him fingerfoods to play with (baby-led approach. purees scare me!) and I thought he would just take off eating because he has been so handsy... but he mostly just sucks on things and "nurses" the food. I doubt very much if he has actually swallowed any of it but he seems happier about meal time when we give him a chance to try.... He also is intensely inerested in drinking water out of our glasses.... he cant really swallow it- every time he tries he ends up in a puddle of water but it is fun to watch him stick his little tongue in the glass and try lappng it up.... I would wager that even if you gave your baby fingerfoods like she acts like she wants, that she would just play and not actually eat any of it... I read about a study where babies from 4 months were allowed to play with finger foods and until they were 6 months none of them could actually eat/ swallow any of it...

Married and sealed to Randall 12~28~2002
    Mother to William Randall 10~13~2006

Yeah, we ecided there was no harm in letting her pretend to eat with us. So for Easter dinner she nursed, mashed her hands in DH's plate, and played with/sucked on a green bean. It was pretty funny, and it kept everyone happy.
    Rachel