Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question

Default question

Last night while nursing my 6 week old she was getting very upset and clawing at me and screaming. When she pulled her head back I could see the nipple shield (we've been using one due to latching problems since about day 4) and there was no milk in it. She was sucking and sucking and no milk was coming out. My breasts felt quite soft so I know I wasn't full. She had already nursed on the other side so I had to give her some EBM that I had in the freezer. This morning I was nursing her again and the same thing happened. She sucked and sucked and no milk came out. I can tell when shes getting enough because I can always see the milk in the sheild, even when shes done. I just dont understand why my milk production has seemed to slow down. I hate to keep giving her bottles. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Default Re: question

Try getting rid of the shield. When she latches on, use ur thumb to open her mouth wide to get a good latch. If it doesn't work, take her off and try again. If you can't, then use the shield, but try not to rely on it 100%. Also, try pumping before she gets latched, just enough to start letdown so she doesnt have to wait.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I don't use a nipple shield, but last week my son was fussy at the breast too. I called the LC, and she told me that he had probably hit his 6 week growth spurt (your baby probably is too).

She told me that it would take my body about 24 hours to get the signal to start producing more milk. This is what she had me do...

1. Nurse
    2. If he wasn't content offer some BM in a bottle
    3. Pump as soon as possible after the feeding to stimulate your body to make more milk.
    4. Pump for about 10 minutes and an additional 2 minutes after I don't see the milk coming out anymore. I think I increased it to about 14 minutes.
    5. Save that milk and repeat the above steps at the next feeding.

I only had to do that for about 4 feedings, and then my body was suddenly producing more milk. My son has been content since then.

The LC told me I was producing milk (when he was fussy), because they can always get milk from us, but it probably wasn't coming out fast enough for him. That could be the same for your daughter, and maybe that's why you weren't seeing any milk in the nipple shield.

Are you pumping too? I used the nipple shield for about a week at home, and the LC told me to make sure I pump after each feeding to send the signal to my body to produce enough milk. Apparently when you nurse with a nipple shield your body only gets 75% of the signal to produce more milk.

I am no expert on nipple shields by any means..but I did read on KellyMom that a nipple shield should only be used for a short time..

"Often, nipple shields are recommended within the first few days of birth. Frequently in these cases, the shields are not needed and are handed out without proper instructions for using and weaning from them"

Here is the link for more just in case you would like it...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

If it is a growth spurt, your body will adjust...supply and demand, a wonderful thing!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Thank you for all the replies. Ive tried everything to get her to wean from the sheild with no luck. I've watched videos and gone to LLL meetings. I visited the LC at the hospital where I delivered (also the one who gave me the shield in the first place) and she is worthless. I now think that she gave it to me because she didnt want to spend the time to get her latched properly. She just isnt interested in nursing without the shield. So for right now its the shield or no nursing so I'll continue with the shield for now.

I'm going to try the pump. I am pumping but not alot. I will try that to tell my body to make more milk. I'll keep you updated.

It's okay to use the nipple shield! If that's what it takes to nurse, then don't feel guilty about it. My friend used it for 5 months. At every feeding she would try to get her baby to latch on w/o, and then she would use the nipple shield. At 8 months she is still breastfeeding and w/o the nipple shield.

My son's pediatrician told me that she used it for several months too.

So, don't worry about using the shield. Lots of women have to.