Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 6 month old daughter hates solids

Cool My 6 month old daughter hates solids

OK. Ive browsed around a bit in this part of the forum and now I feel a little better already, however, here is the situation.

My baby is six months old and I have tried starting her on cereal this week. Well, its was SO cute, because she was really excited to try. WHen she saw the spoon in my hand, she actually took my hand and gently guided the spoon to her mouth! She gingerly tried to "eat" and even managed to swallow a bit of that first bite. But no sooner had she done so than she frowned and made unmistakable "this is yucky" expressions. Nonetheless, she kept trying, each time with the same result.

Ive been pumping and mixing the cereal with breastmilk as reccommended. Well, IM getting the sneaking suspicion that the very problem is the breastmilk. I think she is repulsed by that flavor she normally likes now being mixed with something unfamiliar. Also, I have noticed a plastic smell that the breastmilk has either from the pumping or the storage. Ive tasted the cereal concotions and there is an unmistakably odd side flavor that I cant really identify.

TO date I have tried: buckwheat, that was a no go. Rice, that was a no go.Barley- no improvment. Barley mixed with a touch of banana babyfood. Nope.

Each time she puts anything in her mouth she either gags or just makes a frowny "its yucky" mouth and everything just runs right out.

I feel bad ebcause she really wanted to try it but somehow is repulsed by either the texture, the smell, the mode of transport (spoon?).

Oh, and of course she hates bottles. So thats just great.

The whole point here was to make my life easier on occasion, but so far its been nothing but hassle for us both! Ive been breastfeeding on demand for six solid months. I know Ive done a good thing doing that. I can keep doing that, but I know she is going to need some other food and so far this is discouraging.

Maybe I should forgo mixing with breastmilk and just try straight cereal with a breastfeeding "chaser"?

Maybe I should skip the cereal and try some sweet potato?

Ive been trying to go by the pediatricians recommendations of slowly introducing one thing at a time starting with cereal.THis is going to turn into a full time job if I dont hit upon something she actually likes.

Default Re: My 6 month old daughter hates solids

Well, if you read some of the topics on starting solids, you'll see a common thread throughout....lots of babies just don't want to eat at 6 months. Lots of pediatricians recommend cereal as a first solid, but you really don't have to start with that. You could very well start with sweet potatoes, either out of a jar, or make your own. Another great option is avocado or bananas.

My son didn't want to have anything to do with cereal, or anything fed from a spoon. We waited, then, until he was old enough (about 8 mos) to start feeding himself.

I know how you feel, trying to give yourself a break. My son wouldn't drink expressed breastmilk, so it was either me feeding him, or nothing. I, too, wanted a break. But, be assured that it won't last much longer, and you'll get that break you crave! Hang in there. I just want you to know that it's totally normal for your baby to not want anything to do with solids.

Lisa

we skipped rice cereal and gave her organic sweet potatoes in the jar she at the whole thing ....I just started as well. Good luck. She hated the carrots and hated the peas
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

We started solids by offering DS avocado to self-feed at 6 mo ... he eagerly put some avocado into his mouth then gagged and ended up spitting up his last nursing session (sigh - but we have a great video!).

We next tried self-feeding banana and he put it in his mouth but had a yuck face.

We tried organic brown rice baby cereal mixed with breastmilk - he moved it around his mouth, looked displeased, and pushed most of it out.

Next up - sweet potato (self fed) which DS loved and couldn't get enough.

Carrots were also a big hit. As an experiment I tried mixing carrots with the baby rice cereal, but DS wouldn't eat it.

The most recent food success was butternut squash (self-fed). We've been joking that DS only likes orange foods.

Another success came with plain puffed rice cereal that DS can self-feed (like rice krispies, but just organic brown rice as the only ingredient with no salt or sugar), as well as plain no salt rice cakes that DS can pick up and gnaw on.

I've tried offering banana again with no success. I've been joking that DS reads the baby books when we're asleep and does exactly the the opposite of whatever they say since many baby books say rice cereal and bananas are liked by most babies.

So ... keep experimenting and eventually you'll find some foods your LO likes!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My son didn't take to solids until 8 months. I made the decision not to worry because he was gaining weight and thriving. Now he's 1 and eating 3 square meals a day and anything his family members are eating!!! So I would relax if I were you and let him take the lead.

Thanks all of you- I feel better! I have no mother, no siblings, and not alot of girlfriends, so I don't have alot of reference points!! This helps alot- thanks so much!

Nicosmom...is it any better? Onnie is doing the same thing and I want to know there is hope??? altho she ate carrots today very happily...she hates the rice ect...please say its getting better
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies