Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting solids - worried about choking?

Default starting solids - worried about choking?

My LO will be 6 months old next week.

I have tried giving her rice cereal w/bm a few times (5 or 6 times) but she doesn't want anything to do with it. She is very interested in the spoon - grabbing it and chewing on it. I had tried applesauce 2 or 3 times but she doesn't like it. My IBCLC recommended I try veggies since I eat so many of them and I don't really eat fruit. So I tried sweet potatoes (organic jar) and she seems to like them. I have geven them twice now - maybe a teaspoon each time, then she was done with it.

My IBCLC also recommended finger type foods. I am very concerned about giving her banana, avocado, etc because I worry that she might choke. I see that many moms do offer these foods. Can you give any advice on how to offer these foods? Should I try with the mesh feeder? Does anyone skip the cereal altogether? I just need a little guidance here.

Ashelyn is worlds different than Lexi was at this age. Lexi was on cereal at 4 months and she loved it. She was on all sorts of pureed foods by 5 months. But she was also on formula too. I just want to make sure I offer Ashelyn foods that are safe for her at this age. BTW - she has no teeth first.

Default Re: starting solids - worried about choking?

Hi.
    Yes plenty of us skipped rice cereal altogether as is it is highly processed and has very little nutritional value and is not a LLL recommended 1st food. And some of us also skipped purees and spoon feeding altogether as well. As someone who practices child led solids all the way, I can tell you it's possible to only give you EBF baby really solid food and have then do fine. We all worry about choking. But the research done on child led solids shows that hand to mouth motor skills match. In other words, if the baby can get the food to his/her own mouth they can be trusted to deal with it. Now between 6-8months, often "dealing with it" means mouthing, gumming and pushing most back out. Their tongue thrust and their gag reflex help them deal with food they are just ready to explore but not ready to swallow. My son didn't start swallowing food until he was about 8&1/2 months old and I started giving him at least one thing a day two weeks after his 6month b-day. We tried before that but he wasn't interested.
    Also, remember, gagging and choking are not the same. Gagging is a coping reflex. Choking means the airway is blocked. If you cut all solids into "french fry" pieces, you will ensure that the baby can get her hands around it, get it to her own mouth and not block the airway. Then it will either go down or come out. When using this method, the key is not to "help" the baby. If she doesn't get the food to her mouth on her own, she's not ready. Plain and simple. And since everything the 1st year besides breastmilk is just for fun and exploration, this means there is no pressure on you to get it done anytime soon. HTH. Good luck.

Way too lazy for formula

I agree with PP.
    I had troubles with solid foods in the begining, until we discovered child-led solids, ditched the spoon and haven't looked back.

Our DD has never choked, she gagged once when I didn't remove apple peel, but other than that she has done fine, and we've all had so much fun experimenting with food for months!

Best of luck.

The best suggestion I can give is go take an infant/child CPR class. You can't be afraid of something you know how to handle (choking )

But - as Shelly noted - choking and gagging are two different things and if she meets the starting solids criteria, it should be a okay to go ahead and start out with some suggested first foods.

The following quote comes from this page.

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
    Baby can sit up well without support.
    Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

have you taken a red cross class on baby and infant cpr and what to do if they choke?
    that might be helpfull!

Your kids sound like mine....My twins were all about being spoon fed, and ate everything that way, but my singleton didn't want anything to do with a spoon. For Cameron, we tried the cereal & babyfood, and then ended up waiting until he could pick up his own food.

We started with things like the Gerber puffs (which dissolve REALLY fast), Cheerios, and the like. We did it around 8 months or so.

Just watch your baby closely, and watch for choking. We had some gagging issues early on, but never a choking incident.

Lisa

Thanks so much for the helpful advice ladies!! I will go back and read about child-led feeding. Ashelyn meets some criteria but not all. I think maybe I will wait a little longer and try that route. It's still early and I don't want to rush her.

I did take an infant CPR class before Lexi was born, but I could use a refresher. This will prompt me to do that.

Thanks again - I appreciate your input & suggestions!