Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: painful nipple initially then none

Default painful nipple initially then none

Haven't seen this question asked yet. When my 1 mo. old dtr. latches on (correctly) I initially feel sharp nipple pain, which after a few sucks is gone. Why is this and will it continue? What can I do to make it stop? Thanks for your help.

Default Re: painful nipple initially then none

I don't know exactly what causes it other than just irritation to your nipple from nursing. I had pretty bad nipple pain with this baby (which is my 4th nursling) that I had not had before. I was just generous with lansinoh after nursing. I also would squeeze out a couple of drops before nursing and rub it in my nipples and let it dry, then do the same thing after he finished nursing. I'd let my nipples air dry, then apply the lansinoh. After he was about 6 weeks old it just resolved on it's own.

When I first started nursing I had the same problem. As soon as Riley would latch on I'd have a sharp pain, but it would go away after about 30 seconds or so. The lactation consultant said that it was normal, and that as long as he was latched on correctly not to worry. And after about 6-8 weeks it did get better. She also recommended using the Lansinoh lanolin after every feeding, and I applied it liberally. It really helped!

Yep, I had a similar experience. My nipples/areolas were cherry red for about 6 weeks. It went away, and I didn't have pain after that.

Lisa

My LC used this example for why you might feel that intense pain for the first 10 seconds and said as long as it does not extend that time frame it is normal..this is how she explained it (thought it was worth sharing)

"Think of times when your lips are really dry...and you crack a quick big smile. Ouch..sometimes even creating a crack in your lip. Just like you lick your lips to keep them moist, (or apply blistex, etc) it is wise to do the same with your nipples. Wet them with your finger before latching baby on. You can also use Lanisoh (just make sure it is a very thin layer as this could cause LO to have to suck harder due to the barrier and might get frustrated)

I found that to be a great reccomendation and used it for over a year now. Works every time
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet