Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaking

Default Re: Leaking

Yes I got the pads with the Ekstra hoping it would help knowing I leaked quite a bit. I sure thought I had them centered properly. I only go about 2 hours between either feeding/pumping, so it doesn't seem like that should be the problem. I don't know if maybe I'm not really understanding the feeling of letdown or what, because I never know I've leaked until I see or feel the wet shirt. I'm so frustrated!

I have had lots of problems with leakage - black merino wool tops for wearing when out are great - can't see the leak and the merino fabric does't feel soggy like cotton nor get smelly. I live in New Zealand and we have a brand called Icebreaker which are great although not cheap, also there is an NZ company called Hideaways which does breast feeding tops in merino which are nice. Not sure of there websites but they should be easy to find and buy on line, but I'm sure any black merino wool top will avoid seeing wet patches if you do leak!

Ps forgot to mention with fine merino wool it doesn't get too hot in summer, I wore one travelling in vietnam and it was fine heat wise.

When I have a letdown, it feels tingly. To the point of pain. Some women don't feel that and never have a letdown sensation. With my first, it was about 8-10 weeks before I had a letdown sensation. With Colton, I've had that feeling since day two when my milk came in. And there are times, especially in the beginning weeks of nursing (like the first three months for me), that if I'm more full than usual, it just leaks out without an actual letdown feeling accompanying the leakage. Frustrating, embarrassing. You might have to sorta "chart" when you get leaky, how long it takes, so forth to see if there's a pattern you can circumvent.

BTW, I nurse about every hour and a half, and I still leak between feedings

To hide it, should you leak through, dark colors, and particularly dark prints are great. I also take a little sweater or jacket with me if I'm out in public and having a particularly leaky day If I leak, I toss that on over top until everything dries out again. I've also been known to take extra clothing with me for the first few months, just in case I really need it. The merino wool clothing sounds like a good option . .. I'm gonna look for that myself
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!