Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaking

Default Leaking

I currently am using Medela washable nursing pads, but seem to soak through them fairly often. I don't know if this has something to do with my OALD and/or oversupply issue that I'm starting to get under control, or what. Does anyone have this problem? Sometimes I wake up at night and my whole shirt is soaked. I'm often scared to go out in public that this will happen to me and I won't be able to hide it. I go back to work and also would hate to all the sudden have a big wet spot on my shirt and not have anything to change into. Suggestions?

Default Re: Leaking

I use the Lansinoh disposable nursing pads. They are super absorbant and very discreet. When I did return to work, they helped me avoid some embarassing moments. I did have to change them pretty frequently. After a week or two, my breasts adjusted and leaks were no longer a problem. I only needed to carry a couple of extra pads.
    As far as leaks at night, I had to sleep with a towel underneath.

I'm a HUGE leaker combined with OALD and oversupply; my second baby is almost 5 months old, and I still leak a lot. I leaked for about 10 months with my first.

At night, sleep on towels if you have to. I have also used 100% cotton washcloths or even cloth diapers in my bra to help with the leakage. I actually prefer cloth diapers to sleep on versus towels.

For day, with my first baby, I preferred the Lansinoh disposable pads after trying practically every brand available. They seemed to hold the most. I was careful to change them every couple of hours.

But at $7/box, and using a box a week(!) for 10 months, it got pricey. So for this time around, I invested $40 in two sets of wool nursing pads, and I adore them. I've only leaked through once or twice, and both times it was because I hadn't centered the pad correctly and had gone too long between feedings.

For NIP or work, wear a dark printed shirt and carry a cover-up, like a sweater or something.

It does settle down and eventually your clothes will stay dry.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Wool pads? Where did you get them from? Arent they uncomfortable? I would think that'd irritating on the nipples.

Any other experience/suggestions? It seems to be one side more than the other and no real pattern that I can attempt to tell it's happening before its too late.

The wool pads are AMAZING. They aren't like what you think of when you think wool at all. Incredibly soft, and the natural lanolin in them actually helps with sore nipples. I was skeptical until I tried them. I will never go back to disposables. In fact, I haven't bought ANY disposables this time around, and the other cloth nursing pads I have have only been used when I have to wash the wool ones

I have these ones: http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...roducts_id=124 with the Ekstra (helps prevent leak-through). You really only need two pairs. Again, I didn't believe it until I tried it. The only other thing you need is some wool wash (NOT the grocery store stuff though). I have the LANA wool soap.

It's very common for one side to leak more than the other, and it's totally normal to be no pattern to it. There are days I don't leak much at all, and then other days, I literally can soak my shirt if I forgot to put in a nursing pad.

It will get better, and you might have to wait it out. It usually stablizes for most women around 2-3 months or whenever the milk supply evens out. I'm just a very heavy milker anyway, so I'm leaky for months.

IF you can catch it when the letdown starts, you can discreetly stop it by applying pressure to your nipple with your wrists, elbow or part of your arm in a "stretch" or other creative position. Sometimes at work, a cat meowing (some cats sound almost like a baby crying) can get me leaking, and I've found some creative ways to apply pressure to hold off the leakage
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

How do you know what size you need? I currently use the Medela cotton ones and I think they're probably about 4 or 5 inches and only just cover the area around my areola. How big are you supposed to use the nursing pads?

For the wool ones, it's based on your cup size. If you follow the link, it has a description of which size to pick. I have small LANA pads, since when I'm nursing I'm a C to D cup. They cover more than just the aerola, which is supposed to help with preventing blocked ducts by keeping your breast warm.

Othe brands of reusables are one-size-fits-all, and I didn't like that as I could leak through them.
    Susan

I just received the pads a couple days ago, and have worn them just a few times. I have been leaking through them!!!!! I'm just so frustrated. I thought for sure this would be the answer to my problem. I go back to work the end of the week and am really worried about this leaking problem!! Any other ideas or ideas why I'm having a problem leaking through?

Did you get the Ekstra? That's supposed to help. I could leak through regular, but it takes longer to leak through with Ekstra.

Make sure you have them centered over your nipple. If they aren't centered, you don't have the extra layers over the concentrated area of milk, and they get saturated fast.

The other thing is to change them out often, even every hour or so, if you have to. Let dry and then switch.

If I leak through, it's usually because I've gone too long between switching, feeding and/or don't have them centered.

If you feel a letdown coming on, apply pressure to your nipples, and that helps with the leakage.
    Susan