Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No weight gain - Doc wants me to supplement with formula

Unhappy No weight gain - Doc wants me to supplement with formula

We just met with our new ped this morning and Jacob weighed in at 8#12oz, He was 9#13oz at birth (every puffy/swollen if i might add) upon leaving the hospital he was 8:15 (of course they are diffrent scales)

I wanted to bf him so badly, She thinks that maybe i'm not producing enough for him - He goes thru plenty of wet diapers, we're one of those poop when we feel like it kids so every few days or so. but lots of wet ones! I feel horriable that I am not able to feed him enough, like i'm letting him down. though by looking at him you wouldn't think him to be unhappy not at all! Smiles giggles plays in bouncer or swing. She said other than the weight he looks great.

We have to go back next week for a weight check and I have to keep a diary for the next week as well as feed him 10 min on each side then offer him 2 oz of formula. ----- Yeah i did this this afernoon and he took 1.5oz then Threw it up all over himself and his swing about 15/20 minutes after eating! Then had an Explosive diaper. He likes to suck and the bottles don't seem to be a problem for us but he does know how to make mommy feel better when i offer him the bottle he pushes it away and nuzzles my arm/breast area and he's only 3 weeks old, like he knows what he likes the taste of, offer him a bottle of EBM and NO Problem. So until i can get a supple up and runinng I have to supp with formula. (ooh the awful smell and those horriable burps!

Thanks for the support i need to vent, This really saddens me but i know i must do what is best for my son.

Default Re: No weight gain - Doc wants me to supplement with formula

I would tend to disagree with the "10 minutes on each side thing" For weight gain you want him to get the fattier hind milk at the end of a feed. Part of your problem is maybe that he gets plenty liquid but not enough of that fattier milk. So he feels full and happy and has plenty of diapers. Give him one side and let him finish it (my daughter would stay 30-40 minutes on one side at that age, I didn't need to give her the other but we didn't have any weight problems). When he seems done, stops sucking, then offer the other side. Then give formula if you've been advised to do so, but get in touch with a lactation consultant to monitor things and tell you when you can stop the supplements. Hang in there and good luck!

Hugs. I know what it feels like to think you're not producing enough for your baby. We went through the same thing. I have to agree with the previous poster. The one suggestion from the doctor that I ignored was the 10 minutes per side. I knew my baby. She liked to nurse for an hour. So, we nursed until she said "no more." I figured the doctor couldn't fault me for giving her more time at the breast.

I ended up supplementing, too. It's not the end of the world, although it feels like it at the time. I pumped every time I gave a supplement. After a while, baby got mostly EBM. The two most helpful things to me were: a lactation consultant and a second opinion from a different doctor. You need to make sure the baby is effectively transferring milk, thus the lactation consultant. You also need to make sure there is no medical reason the baby is not gaining weight. You might not need a second opinion, but if you feel the least little bit like your doctor is unsupportive of breastfeeding, it might help to find a doctor who is.

Hang in there, it does get better. This doesn't have to mean the end of breastfeeding. 6 months later, we're still nursing.

Hi! I'm sorry you are having trouble with weight gain. Can you provide some more information? Did you have IV fluids during your labor? Or a C-section? That can cause the baby to have "extra" fluids thereby artificially inflating the birth weight. However, you still should see him putting on some weight now rather than staying the same. Also, generally in the first six weeks, a baby who is getting enough to eat will have at least 2-3 stools per day (after six weeks it is normal for them to spread out more).

What are the baby's nursing patterns? How many feeds in 24 hours? Does he usually take both breasts? How long does he nurse? Are you seeing active sucking and swallowing? How do you decide when to switch breasts?

Have you tried breast compressions? That can help baby get more hindmilk and stay with active sucking longer. Is he very sleepy?

I'd suggest contacting a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC). An LC may be able to help you with breastfeeding management and figure out how to get on track to exclusive breastfeeding. Don't feel bad--many moms have trouble in the beginning. Sometimes it takes some professional help to get things on track.

I agree with all the previous posts. I had to supplement at first as well, and while it feels terrible, you're feeding your baby, and you CAN eventually wean off the formula (I did). Definitely start pumping so you can supplement with breast milk instead of formula as much as possible. And find out why he's not gaining (whether it's low production or something else). Good luck!

LLowe, here are the answers to your questions (as best as I can of course)
    I had a C-Section and a TERRIABLE spinal (took 40 minutes and lots of trouble), I believe that they looked me up to an IV when I arrived. I believe that he has gained, see we stared at a "family practice" and his first weight there was 9.1 they stripped him down to his dry diaper for that weight - last week we went for our 2 week and they didn't take his clothing off and guestimated(sp) his weight of 8:14 both my hubby and I saw 9.4 on the scale.this office doesn't see lots of children his age so who knows the last time the scale was checked. besides We wanted to ped so as new parents we have SO many questions! today she stripped him down totaly and her scale said 8.12 - So lots of scales and who knows if they are right or wrong! I lift him daily and feel like he's gaining, but who knows. As for the poop I've been told (a few times, by mothers who bf AND doctors) that it's okay not to go daily - So i'm not to concerned.

We feed about every 2 -3hrs daily, and he will usually eats about 30 /40 minutes. over night sometimes a little shorter, around 8pm-11pm sometimes more often. will almost always take both breast, but might not eat much from the 2nd. I see active sucking and what i believe is swallowing. I usually change sides when he seems to give up on that side. Some days more sleepy than others, but doesn't like to nap much during the day, maybe an hr here or there.

where do I find a IBCLC?

Thanks!

Here is a link to the international lactation consultant directory. You put in your zip code and it will list LC's near you.

http://gotwww.net/ilca/

What do your baby's stools look like when he does go? Are they yellow and watery/soft? The different scales and methods for weighing can make a big difference. Especially when there is a concern about weight gain, I'd suggest doing NAKED weight (everything off including the diaper) and always on the same scale. Since there is an issue with different scales/methods of weighing, you could talk with the doctor and see if he or she thinks it would be acceptable to forego the supplements for a couple more days and try to address the issue through breastfeeding management with frequent monitoring of weight gain (i.e. bring him in for a weight check each day or two to make sure he is starting to gain).

So you said you were feeding every two to three hours--how many feeds does he get in in 24 hours? If you offer the breast sooner than usual what is his reaction? Most newborns need to nurse at least 8-12 times in 24 hours. For a slow gaining baby, it is usually recommended to aim for the upper end of that range (at least 10-12 times). It does sound from your description that he is satisfied after a feeding. Does he usually fall asleep at the breast or does he unlatch on his own when he's finished?

Breast compressions are one way to help a baby get more hind milk and to encourage active sucking for a longer amount of time. Here is a link to a description of the technique: http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...ompression.pdf

Another idea is to try a "nurse in". This would require some help from another person. You would take the baby to bed with you for a full day. Keep baby stripped to diaper and you with shirt off. Do lots of skin to skin contact and encourage baby to nurse as frequently as he is willing. Spend your time ONLY nursing and resting. Have someone else take care of other household tasks, including bringing you healthy food to eat. Sometimes this can help to "jump start" milk production and get baby to take in some more calories. Once babies start growing and gaining, they can nurse more effectively (using less energy to get the milk out.

Keep us posted about how you are doing!

My LO droped from 8.7 birth weight to 7.9 and took a little over 3 weeks to regain his birth weight. In his case he had a mild case of tongue tie which affected his latch. After getting his frenulum clipped things got better but let me tell you I was stressed and wasn't sure I could continue breastfeeding.

Since it was early in our breastfeeding relationship and I had not established my milk supply I had to pump after every feed and give him that milk. You may want to do that instead of the forumula. It's taxing but you'll get throught it.

At 9 weeks he's now 12.5 and doing well and nursing as if it were his job.

It will get better. Look to the ladies on this site for support and feel free to email me or send me a pm. I'm on this site every day!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

hi - my dd weighed 8.12 when born and it dipped to 7.15 when we left the hospital. it took her a month (4 weeks) to finally surpass her birth weight. i was distraught and felt like i must be starving her. i think we gave her about 4 bottles of formula total and i felt horrible each time. she just spit them back up and had a horrible belly ache! anyway, it's not worth the guilt. some babies just take a little while and sometimes it can take a little while for the milk to start flowing. at least that was true in my case. my lo wouldn't nurse long enough and fall asleep, wake up 15 min later, nurse another 4-5 min, fall asleep. just persevere. keep your lo in bed with you and let your ds just nurse and nurse. wake him up if he sleeps and doesn't nurse long enough. i'm not sure 10 min on each side is long enough to get to the hindmilk. maybe let him come off naturally and then offer the other side to see if he takes it? hth!

don't be afraid to look up your local leader and give her a call she can help too.
    I Agree with the pp newborns need to nurse 8-12 time in 24 hours and breast compressions can help with babies weight gain.
    Did the doctor tell you to pump? Sometimes moms will pump for that extra milk, your milk is better then the formula for supplimenting with.
    Pumping will boost your supply also.
    A good hospital grade pump that you rent can help with milk supply problems.
    I agree with the iv point to, when mom has iv at birth babies birth weight can be higher then it normal would have.

heres a link from kelly moms about weight gain.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

limiting babies time at the breast is bad advice!