Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby screaming & searching after Feeding

Question Baby screaming & searching after Feeding

My baby was born 7 weeks early and is 13 lbs 4oz at 3 months so he is
    gaining well. He seems like he is not satified after eating and he eats every two
    hours during the day every 3 or 4 hours at night. When I pump I get out 2oz maybe... am I not producing enough for him with his weight and age? He gets formula 2x a day as specified by his neonatalogist at the hospital originally to gain weight. I pump when formula is given. He takes 3 or 4 oz of formula when
    he has it and he seems satisfied then and can go longer between feedings... I have tried mother's milk tea but no improvement after a week. One breast produces about a third of the other one and I have him feed on the weak one first. Any suggestions? I'm a first time mom.
    Thanks.

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Baby screaming & searching after Feeding

Do the doctors think you still need to supplement?

When I had to supplement one of my twins we first tried giving her as much formula as she wanted, but then she went too long between feeding to keep my milk supply up, so the LC had me always breastfed first so that my milk supply stayed up then gave her 1/2 oz of pumped milk. Maybe if you switch to nursing him to start with each time, them supplement with just enough formula to tide him over (preferably pumped milk if you can pump some out after each feeding), it will help your milk supply go up.

I do breastfeed first a lot of the time but I give my nipples a break sometimes.
    I get nothing pumped out after he eats...he empties me

Have you tried fenugreek? I haven't taken it myself but my friend has had trouble with undersupply and says it works great. Is there a LC from the hospital or your pediatrician's office you can call for advice? Mine is always helpful, sometimes it's just nice to hear a professional give you a game plan. Hang in there, you're doing a great job getting a preemie to nurse for most feedings, and you'll find a way to get your milk supply up!