Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Go with the flow??

Question Go with the flow??

I have read the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. My baby and I don't fit into any catagory!! We are doing wonderful at breastfeeding- but I want her to eat more at one sitting and space the feedings out. Right now she eats for about 10-15 minutes on one side and is done, the next feeding will be sometimes 20 minutes- an hour and a half to 3 hours later. I have done everything the book says, take her clothes off, change her diaper, ect. She is just never interested in the other breast.
    Could eatting 10-15 minutes on one side be enough for my 6 weeks baby? As she gets older will she naturally eat more and less often?? Am I stressing for no reason...I keep telling myself she is only 6 weeks old.

Default Re: Go with the flow??

Hi there,

Babies have tiny stomachs, so they need to eat small meals often. Your daughter sounds like she's doing what is comfortable for her, and as she gets older and her tummy gets bigger she will space out feedings and eat more at each. Perhaps she likes to graze! That is supposed to be the healthiest way to go

As long as she is having enough wet/dirty diapers a day I wouldn't stress. Breastfeeding often is great for her and great for your supply. I'd go with the flow!

Ditto to the above poster. My Elias is 9 wks old and has always been a one sided nurser. My JJ was also like that. Some babies are just content with only one side. Like PP said if baby has enough wet/poopy dipes and is gaining fine then just go with the flow

IMO, that is absolutely fine. my baby is 6 months and can still eat every 3 hours sometimes and has ONLY ever eaten on one side since about 1 month old (which is when the latch got alot better). they need to eat alot when first born to keep full. and if she only needs 15 minutes, then that actually means that she has a good latch. with a good latch it shouldn't really take that long for them to get what they need. if you can, just let her feed on demand.
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008