Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please Help - I am new at this!!

Default Please Help - I am new at this!!

I am a first time mom and new to these forums so I am a little unclear with all the acronyms. My daughter is 1 month old and I am the first person in my family to breastfeed (or attempt it). I have been breastfeeding my daughter and supplementing with formula (doctors orders). Eversince the day she was born we have had issues. We surpassed the scabbed nipples and now I am thinking it's latching on issues. When she initially latches on I get an extreme pain in my nipple that after about a minute the pain goes away and she feeds fine; but my nipples will get slightly sore after she's done. Looking at her jawline the entire time - it doesnt seem as if she is biting but I could be wrong. I've tried repositioning her and breast compression and nothing changes that initial feeling. Anyone have any suggestions - I am open to trying everything and anything - I don't want to quit breastfeeding - I just want to fix whatever is wrong so my daughter and I can enjoy this experience. Please help!!!

Default Re: Please Help - I am new at this!!

Welcome! I had the same problem with the pain. Also everyone I talk to seems to have it too. My LLL told me it does hurt at the beginning. The pain was a sign that my girl was latching on. Some babies just have a strong suction. It will go away as your nipples get used to it

don't be afraid to look up your local leader she can help
    http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html
    pick your state at that link.

Cracked and bleeding nipples sometimes take a while to heal.
    What are you using to heal them?
    heres a link about healing nipples.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

Lansinoh products are great for nipple healing. All of the pain associated with nursing (though my pain was only right when he latched on and sensitivity afterward) was gone by 10 weeks. There is truth in the saying Time heals all wounds, it goes for nursing too!!!
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Definitely call your local LLL leader. They can help much more with latch issues than we can online. Check out my signature for help with all the crazy acronyms! Great job so far... it does get easier I promise!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I had sore nipples too, but it only lasted about 3 days. From the beginning I put on the cream and I used soothies. But it will go away, your breasts just need to toughen up.

I had that, too, for the first several weeks - particularly in my right breast. Looking back, I think part of it may have been thrush. We've had problems with that for the past month, and considering the antibiotics I was on for a c-section, I don't doubt we had problems earlier that were undiagnosed.

DS, 11/08/06
    DD 02/06/09

Thank you for your responses!! I am comforted to know I am not the only one out there!! I will normally use lansinoh and a little breastmilk to soothe the pain but normally won't help. I will keep at it - hopefully my nipples will toughen up. Thank you again - I feel a little more at ease

I'm nursing two, one didn't latch well to begin with, the other was a really strong sucker, so I've felt pain both ways. For me, when Gwen wasn't latched right it pinched continuously (pain on the surface of the nipple on the side where her lip wasn't right) until I got her latched correctly (rolled her upper lip out and pulled her lower jaw down). But Jules sucked so hard it hurt really bad (pain in the center of the nipple and deeper into the breast) for the first few seconds then eased up, I was diligent about Lanolin and eventually it got better. It seems like you might have a strong sucker, but it might be a good idea to have a LLL leader or LC check the latch before you resign yourself to bearing with the pain.