Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 hours between feeds

Post 4 hours between feeds

My LO is 7 weeks and she's going 4 hours between feeds. This just started yesterday. Is this normal? Or should I still wake her after 3 hours? In the evenings she goes for 5 hours (that one I'm not too worried about b/c DH and I love the extra rest). She has her 2 month follow up next week and I'm paranoid about her weight. I don't want them to tell me she's not gaining sufficiently and to supplement.

Default Re: 4 hours between feeds

okay - this is my thought on it... if she is having sufficient output, then she might just be kind of 'self regulating' to nurse as her needs see fit. then you shouldn't have much to worry about so wait until the appt to see what the weight outcome is.

Good luck
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I personally think you should count yourself lucky. My DD was like that too. By 1 month old she was sleeping her nights. If her diaper output is normal than she is okay. She might be getting more then you think she is. If you are unsure of the amount do a yield of your breasts. Express your milk to see how much your LO is getting.

As every baby is different, I agree with other posters that if your baby seems satisfied after feeding and is producing the appropriate output (wets/stool diapers) then you're probably just fine. My baby at 3 weeks went through a day when he slept for almost 5 hours at a time and I freaked out. I spoke to a lactation consultant and she reassured me that it shouldn't be a problem given the above things.

the only other comment I would make is not to get too freaked out if you pump and the volume is less than your baby should get at a single feeding - the baby is more effecient at extracting your milk than a pump and she's almost certainly getting more that what you'll see if you pump. Is there a lactation center near you or will your doctor's office weigh her in between appointments to put your mind at ease?

Good luck!

Her output is really good. She averages at least two changes per feeding (1 b4 meal & at least 1 after meal), so in a 24 hour period I change about 12-14 soiled diapers. We went to a lactation clinic yesterday and she got 2.7 oz from left breast and 1oz from right (15min on each side, her normal feedings last about 40 min total). Is 3-4 oz normal for a 7 week old? I think I'm hyper paranoid because we visited a friend after the clinic and she said my DD looked skinnier than the last time she saw her (2 weeks ago).

hey moonbaby,
    my 7 w/o lo just slept 4 hours last night for the first time...it is weird. after feeding him every 2 hours for 7 weeks i am kinda attached to having him on my boob. and now he just slept 3...i woke him up to eat. i don't know shouldn't he eat at least 8x a day at this age?

karla