Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: where'd my milk go?

Default where'd my milk go?

My 10 month old D has just starting sleeping nights without her 3am feeding. Her last feeding is at 8:30pm and she wakes up around 7:30am.During the day she gets EBM and solids, nurses in the morning and night and exclusively on weekends. I pump 3 times a day at work.

Not sure if it's the sleeping or the fact she's been a little sick, but I'm suddenly having trouble filling the two 6 oz bottles she needs for the day. I've beenoverproducing since she was born but now...

should I pump more at work? should I feed her at night? help!

Default Re: where'd my milk go?

Quote Originally Posted by RebaG View Post
    should I pump more at work? should I feed her at night? help!
    Yes, and yes. Many moms find that adding another pumping session during the work day can help them get through a slump. Other ideas would be to make sure that your pump is in good working condition (they do tend to wear out with time), or rent a hospital grade pump for a few weeks until your supply is back up to speed. Other moms make up for the deficit by pumping on one side while there baby nurses on the other during the evening or early morning before work.

Night nursing has the double benefit of increasing your overall milk supply AND decreasing your baby's dependence upon pumped milk during the day. Your prolactin (milk-making hormone) levels are highest at night. Many working moms find that bringing their baby to bed with them to nurse at night is an effective way to boost their milk supplies. It can also be a relaxing time for mom and baby to reconnect after a long day of separation.

HTH. Hang in there! You're doing a great job.

Tiana