Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: argh- very frustrated

Default argh- very frustrated

My ds (6mo) and I have been exclusively bf-ing since birth and have experienced little trouble along the way until now. I feel like my supply is low because he will go to eat (and show me signs of hunger) then a few seconds later will pull off and cry- as if to say "where did it go?" This is particularly the case if he feeds more frequently/intensely than a 4 hour window.
    I know that after awhile you can't feel let down, the engorgement lets up, etc... I have all those "symptoms" + crying baby. It seems like classic "teething/learning new skill/being too interested in everything else" behaviour.
    The part that worries me is I am getting tested for low thyroid and I have read about that affecting supply. In the mean time, I think I will start myself of fenugreek and see what that does. Did any of experience either of these issues or in combination?

Default Re: argh- very frustrated

My supply was low from the beginning. I had to take domperidone to get it back up. Just a suggestion but maybe it's time to start introducing your LO to solids. My doctor told me that at 6 months it's a good idea to start with solids because their demand for food goes way up. I'm not saying stop bfing, I still bf and feed DD solids. Try with a little bit of rice cereal first if you decide to go that route. Feed that for a few days then go to oats, then wheat and so on... When your LO gets the hang of eating, you can introduce baby food to him.

what are babies wet diapars like?
    Thats the way to tell if baby is getting the milk they need.
    ITs common for older babies to have days were they don't nurse as much as others.

Could it be a growth spurt? I know my 6 month old dd went through a week or so like that, too. It was frustrating. Part of it was she had times when she didn't want milk, but wanted to suck. A pacifier helped with these times. Part of it was a growth spurt, I believe. It does pass, which is the important thing to know. I remember coming to this forum and posting about it, and several other women were going through the exact same thing, so you're not alone in your experience.

Hang in there!

Thanks for the encouragement ladies.... I have introduced solids- but was backing off since the "drop in supply" (if that is what it is) to allow my breast milk production to be stimulated by his suckling. Do you think I should continue with solids?

His diapers are wet, but his urine smells stronger (although appearance is clear-lightly coloured). I partially freaked out because he didn't gain any significant weight or length since his 4 mo checkup. I know he's healthy- look at the baby and not the scales... but sometimes it's hard not to panic.
    Last edited by danou; April 5th, 2007 at 10:06 AM.