Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: first time out need help...

Default first time out need help...

My husband and I are having our first date next week. I have a bunch of ebm saved up from my morning pumping, but don't know if he'll take it. He has only had one bottle of bm and he only took about one ounce. (that was last week while I was at my midterm). I am so worried because I will be going to dinner and then at a concert so I'll be gone for at least 4 hours. He eats about every 2-3 hours right now, but occasionaly (okay always) will want to comfort suck. He won't take a paci and I don't want him to not be able to be consoled. I am sure that this is harder for me then him, but I am soooo worried. He will be 5 and 1/2 weeks when we go out. Any advice to make a smooth transition. How much should I leave my mother in law. I do plan on starting him on one bottle at night with daddy at about 6 weeks. Should I try introducing it now? I don't want to have nipple confusion or preference. I plan to breast feed until at least one year. We do have a great bf relationship as of yet.

Default Re: first time out need help...

Take a look at this link from askdrsears.com, it has some very helpful tips on getting a baby to take a bottle. "If you know you eventually need to use a bottle, you should try to introduce it at about 1 month of age. There seems to be a "window of opportunity" and if you miss this, it can take a lot of work to get him to accept the bottle."

We were unsuccessful with getting DS to take one because we stopped giving him one very early on. We figured that we did not need to re-introduce it to him thinking he would remember we did not know about the "window of opportunity". HTH!