Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: only pumping

Default only pumping

I started off BF my son at the hospital everything was fine until my milk started coming in and it was hard for him to latch on. I felf myself getting fustrated and look at my pump and pump the milk into the bottle and been doing it ever since. I know that BF is the best but since I pump the milk into the bottle is the still as good as BF. My other problem was that he is a big baby he was 11 lbs and 10 oz at birth. ( Yes I pushed him out) so his feeding was frequent and for 30 min on each breast. Sometimes i feel kind of sad because I was sooooo looking foward to BF him. I wonder if I could re introduce him to breadfeeding.

Default Re: only pumping

My son is 6 wks old and I couldn't get BF to work for us for the first week, so I decided to pump exclusively. I've been giving him EBM in a bottle for over 5 weeks now. Just today I tried nursing him again and he didn't have any nipple confusion (I'm using Dr. Brown's bottles). He seems to want to latch on just fine...I just can't get him to latch on correctly (I have flat nipples and he has a very high palate!) So, don't give up hope -- you can definitely still try to nurse. Good Luck!

Hi and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your new baby! How old is he? To answer some of your questions...breastmilk is breastmilk and it is wonderful for your baby whether it comes from a bottle or from the breast. That being said, however, there are some benefits (both for mom and baby) to nursing directly from the breast. The sucking action that a baby uses to milk the breast is different than that from a bottle. Nursing helps in proper development of the mouth and jaws and lowers the risk of malocclusion (misaligned teeth). There are even some who believe that it plays a role in preventing things such as snoring and sleep apnea (see Brian Palmer I think is his name). Also, it can be much more difficult to keep up a supply when exclusively pumping. So, exclusive pumpers sometimes end up supplementing and then weaning entirely long before they had planned. There is a convenience factor, pumping and bottle feeding takes a lot more time in the long run. Finally, there is the emotional/comfort aspect of nursing from the breast.

If you decide to stay with exclusive pumping, it is still a great gift for your baby, and many moms are successful with it. However, if you want to try to BF, go for it! It is very likely possible to get baby back to the breast. Have you tried offering the breast all?

The problems you described are very common. Babies often have difficulty latching when the milk comes in due to engorgement. There are ways to deal with this, and you are likely past that stage now anyway? Also, your baby's weight/size may not have anything to do with the frequency of his nursing. The nursing pattern you described is very common for a newborn. Baby's generally start to space out feedings a bit more and become more efficient as they get older. Smaller babies may sometimes actually need to nurse longer and more often (might have smaller stomachs and mouths). Think of it this way-all babies eventually grow to 12 pounds, most while still exclusively BF, and they often space feedings further apart as they grow not the other way around (though nursing frequency can vary a lot in either direction from day to day, week to week).

There are some moms on this board who have been successful at getting baby to breast after a period of no nursing. So, hopefully someone will come along with some good BTDT advice. My first advice would be lots of skin to skin contact (helps bring out baby's natural inclination to nurse) and just try offering the breast and see what happens. If that isn't successful, you can go from there with other approaches.

He will be 2 weeks 6 April 07. Thank you so much for the information it really helps out alot.

Welcome to the forums!

You absolutely CAN reintroduce the breast!

First, I would suggest skin to skin contact and simply introducing the breast to see if he will nurse. If he won't latch on, or if the latch is uncomfortable, you can always come back here for more suggestions!

Have you called your local LLL Leader? She would be a great source of information and support.

we had a similar experience, pumped for 2 months and then he started bf-ing like a champ! hang in there! it may take some time, but you can do it!
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering