Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: problems...

Question problems...

ok my little one is 3 weeks and a day... i have been having problems breastfeeding ever since she ws born and they didnt help me in the hospital... they told me she was latching on properly but it still hurt alot and still does... my nipples were really cracked and sore, i also had a yeast infection in my breasts, and my doctor was away on holidays and the doctor i had to see didnt know anything about what she was doing, im still having problems with her latching on and my nipples are constantly sore, i also have a severly blocked milk duct and it doesnt seem to go away ive tried putting warmth on the area and massaging it but it just wont go away.. im at my wits end and i dont know what to do it makes my head hurt

Default Re: problems...

don't be afraid to look up your local leader
    what state are you in? heres the link to find a leader.
    http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html

sore cracked nipples are a sign of bad latch but you can improve babies latch and give your nipples a chance to heal.
    If your running a fever you might have a touch of mastitis and that would need an call to the doctor.
    heres a link about plugged ducts and mastitis...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Oh gosh... You definitely got thrown in at the deep end of the breastfeeding pool! But please don't get discouraged. If you can hang in there through these difficult times, things will get better!

I had cracked, bleeding, exquisitely painful nipples for 4.5 months. (I don't mean to scare you- I think most people with similar problems have them resolve quicker than mine did.) The thing that helped me the most was to see a couple of IBCLCs (International Board Certified Lactation Consultants) and have them help me with my latch. Sometimes you really need an expert to help find and fix the problem! If you call your local LLL, they should be able to help you find someone. Meanwhile, you can try putting Lansinoh on your nipples to keep them from drying and cracking more, going topless/ or keeping your bra flaps down to reduce chaffing, and using a warm wet washcloth on your nipples before nursing. A lot of that initial jolt of pain is from the scab tearing, so it helps to moisten it before putting the baby on.

I don't know much about treating yeast infections, except that it can help to eat lots of yoghurt and also cut down on sugar. (Yoghurt is full of healthy bacteria, and yeast feeds on sugar, so less sugar can equal less yeast.) For a plugged duct, however, you might try immersing your breasts in warm water, and really soaking your nipples. You can also try laying your baby on her back and nursing her from above, with your breasts dangling down, as gravity can help draw the plug out.

I hope things improve for you soon!

I feel for you! Been there and still healing at 7 weeks. Dealing with sore cracked nipples and having them constantly sucked on is way more grueling than labor and delivery. I also had to deal with clogged ducts and a mild case of yeast. The first thing that helped me was correcting my latch. Even when LCs say your latch looks good, if it doesn't feel good, re-latch. Once I was getting a good latch (80-90% of the time) and my cracks weren't healing at all, I finally got treated for a mild case of thrush with Gentian Violet. After 1 treatment and being super diligent about our latch (even in the wee hours of the night), my cracks are looking a whole lot better and I don't shake before feedings. And with a better latch, they take a whole lot more milk and she cleared my clogged ducts. I got clogged ducts on my right breast because I was gripping it so hard (due to the pain of a poor latch), so be mindful of your hands. Hang in there. I'm barely starting to see the light at the end of this very dark tunnel and it's true what others say, it's worth it and it does get better (it just takes a little longer for some of us).

thanks for the advice everyone ill try your suggestions

The Lansinoh cream that the PP spoke of is great!!! You could also try to find some gel breast pads. What I did was put a pair of the gel pads in the freezer and then put them on my breasts when they were really cold. They felt so nice!!!!! It really helped to soothe my extremely sore breasts. The Lansinoh cream and the gel pads saved me!