Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Using frozen breastmilk exclusively....

Default Using frozen breastmilk exclusively....

hi! My daughter is 4 weeks old & I have finally come to the conclusion that she is not going to nurse. We have seen several LC's with no luck. I am fine with that and actually liking exclusively pumping - as much as one can.

My question is- I pump twice as much as she drinks....and my "mini-goal" is to make it to 4 months when she starts solids & then feed her all the breastmilk I have stored until she is at least 6 months (we have it in a deep freeze at my grandfather in laws house and pumping longer than this is just not ideal as I have an 8 yo, a 2 yo and I do daycare in my home, so I can't even imagine how hard it will be to pump once I go back to work). I know that breastmilk composition is supposed to change over time with her growing body, but is this "plan" still better than formula? And it's really hard to rotate it now, b/c I can always give her fresh breastmilk. Basically I pump a fresh bottle, freeze my next pump (sometimes the one after if she sleeps long) and pump another fresh bottle, etc. I'm never feeding her frozen breastmilk currently (does that make sense)??? So in six months, she will most likely be having what I am pumping now. Is this okay?

THANKS! I hope this wasn't too confusing!

Default Re: Using frozen breastmilk exclusively....

That is fine. While it is true that your bm evolves with your baby, fresh is best. Save your frozen until you have no more fresh. It will still be fine to give to db. Milk banks use ebm from mothers with babies of all ages for their very sickly premies because it is so much better than formula even though they mix the milk from mothers of babies of all ages (up to 12 months). Just out of curiousity, why are you planning to start solids @ 4 months? Breast milk is all baby needs for first 6 months and 6 months for starting solids is only an apoximate. My ds didn't start solids until 8 months and dd is 7 months and barely starting. It may be better to wait until db is ready (can sit up by self, shows interest, can turn head away when full)
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Oh yeah - I didn't even think about that (the milk banks). And when you think about it - formula doesn't exaclty change as a baby grows either.

I guess the only reason I thought about starting solids at 4 months as opposed to 6 or later was b/c I was going to stop pumping - and figured my milk would last longer if she was eating solids....we'll see though - I've never started them that early before either (b/c my other kids would nurse unlike this stinker) Who knows- I may pump longer...if I keep my goals achievable they'll be easier to meet..

Thanks for your input!

Another thing you might not have considered...you could wean off the pump slowly. You might even find it managable to not pump while you're working, but still pump 4-5 times per day. You might be able to express a good while on even 3 pumpings a day! Just keep your expectations reasonable. Remember that some breastmilk is always better than none. And some fresh breastmilk is better than none, too!

That being said, rest assured that your frozen stash is still highly nutritious. In fact, a recent study showed that the vitamins in breastmilk change very little with freezing and defrosting. LMK if you'd be interested in reading it!