Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not gaining anymore

Unhappy not gaining anymore

I've been worried sick for the last couple of weeks as it seems DS completely stopped gaining weight.

I was so proud at the beginning as he was gaining and growing so well on my milk, but it seems like my milk is NOT working anymore.

7 lbs at birth
    9.5 lbs at 1 month
    14.5 lbs at 3 months
    17.3 lbs at 5 months
    17.5 lbs at 6 1/2 months

I nurse on demand when we are toghether. He has never had a schedule, and he likes to cluster feed. A couple of minutes of nursing every hour, or a little longer if it's been over 2 hours from his previous feeding.

When I am at work I leave 4 - 3oz bottles for him at daycare (I usually leave him for 6 -8 hrs), Sometimes he'll take 3 bottles sometimes he'll take 4 bottles. They feed him the 3oz about every 2 hours.

He has plenty of wet diapers and seems happy and satisfied. Why is he NOT gaining more weight?

What am I missing?

Default Re: not gaining anymore

Perhaps it's because your LO is no doubt more active than he was before. It doesn't take much for them to burn those calories! I wouldn't worry too much if the diaper output is good, and like you said, he seems happy and satisfied. I'm sure your milk is still working!

Default Re: not gaining anymore

It's normal to slow down at 5-6 mos. The LLL Answer book has 1 oz a week as an o.k. gain from 6-12mos so it could take as long as 3.5 mos to gain a #! AJ started gaining 1/2 of what he had been when he turned 6 mos. Evan was a 1oz a wk kid, but did have some allergy issues too.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)