Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! I got my period today and DD uses all 4 bags pumped from previous day

Unhappy Help! I got my period today and DD uses all 4 bags pumped from previous day

My DD is 7 months and has been exclusively breastfeeding until the day she turned 7 months---that's when she got interested in solids.

After I delivered in August, I got my cycle in October, but it was just light pink spotting and it was only for one day. After October, it became sporadic. November, then February.

Today is the worse! It FEELS like the onset of a real period with cramps and all. Although my dd started eating solids. She drinks all of the milk that I have pumped the day before which is 12-16 oz or 4 Lansinoh bags. AND DH is home with her all day (he's retired). He goes, um you need to try to bring home like 6 bags---HOW?? She is starting to eat more solids, and I only nurse exclusively in the evenings and weekends.

I wanted to Bf her until she was 12 mos. Can I continue. She loves to nurse and prefers the breast over the bottle

Default Re: Help! I got my period today and DD uses all 4 bags pumped from previous day

HI,

Yes! You can continue to breastfeed! Breastfeeding does not have to be an "all or nothing" proposition. Even if, worst case scenario, you have to supplement with some formula while you are at work, you can still continue to feed her whatever you are able to pump, and of course, nurse her while you are together.

That being said, I have a few ideas that you can try. There are loads of ideas for increasing the amount of milk you are able to pump here:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

You might also consider trying to encourage your baby to nurse more often when the two of you are together. Increased direct nursing (especially night nursing) has the double effect of increasing your overall milk supply AND decreasing your baby's dependence on pumped milk.

I hope that helps. I'm sure other mamas will chime in with some ideas that worked for them.

You can do it! I have no doubt you will make your 12 month goal.

Hang in there,

Tiana