Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Difficult to figure out how many ounces...

Default Difficult to figure out how many ounces...

My 6 week old son is primarily breastfed. He will occasionally get a bottle of breast milk if I am away from him.

It's really difficult to figure out how much he should be getting/does get per feeding.

I've read that for the number of feedings he has per day and his weight, he should only be getting about 2-2.5 oz. I'm not sure if this matters, but he was 9 lbs. 9 oz. at birth and is about 12 pounds now.

When he has had a bottle of breast milk, it doesn't seem that 2-2.5 oz. is enough for him. He can typically drink about 4 oz. Then it makes me wonder if he's drinking the entire 4 oz. because it's there and available to him. My husband said he doesn't seem content after only 2-2.5 oz.

I know that sometimes babies will spit up if they drink too much milk, but my son has reflux (he's on medication), and he spits up frequently anyways. I can't tell if he spits up just because or if he eats too much.

Does 4 oz. seem about right for a 6 week old?

Thanks!

Default Re: Difficult to figure out how many ounces...

I would think 3-4 oz. would be about right. I would always offer 4 oz. If they are getting full, you can see them slow down their active sucking at the bottle even if they will still swallow what runs into their mouths. When he does this, you can probably stop the feeding.

Since you say he doesn't get a bottle that often, I would err on the side of offering more and not worry about over feeding on those rare occasions.

My lactation consultant told me that babies need 2.5 oz per pound per day so if he is 12 lbs that is 30 oz per day. It depends on how much you feed him, 30 divided by 8 feeding/day is about 3.75 oz. Hope that helps!

My 6 wk old son gets EBM from a bottle exclusively. We give him about 3 to 3.5 oz at each feeding (~ 7-8 feedings per day). He weighs about 10 lbs.

Smile Re: Difficult to figure out how many ounces...

I think 2-2.5 oz is not enough for a baby weighing 12 lbs. My lactaion center told me that my baby, at 8 lb 13 oz, should be getting 2.9 oz if I feed him every 3 hours (23.2 oz a day). I don't know the exact calculations for a baby of 12 lbs., but I think 4 oz. is definitely reasonable.

Sounds like you're on the right track!!