Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting started with a used pump

Default Getting started with a used pump

A friend of mine gave me her old electric breast pump- a medela pump in style. I'm not sure how to get started in two respects...

1) Would it be satisfactory to simply sterilize everything for my own use or is it better and safer for me to purchase my own parts?

2) I've been breastfeeding for six weeks. I have a pretty active let down and quick flow (I usually lean back during feeding so my baby doesn't choke), but a much more ample supply in my right breast- the side my son favors. Exactly how, when and on what side(s) should I begin pumping?

I'm a stay at home mom, so I'm really pumping just to give my husband the opportunity to feed our son and allow me to leave the house for a few hours without worrying the baby will get hungry and have nothing to eat. As such, he'll probably only be offered the bottle a few times a week.

Default Re: Getting started with a used pump

The pump companies generally advise that a pump is meant for one customer only, but there are a whole lot of women out there that have used hand me down pumps with good success, myself included. You have asked, "Would it be satisfactory to simply sterilize everything for my own use or is it better and safer for me to purchase my own parts?" I was grateful for the free pump, but decided that I would spring for my own pump parts. There are a lot of nooks and crannies that bacteria and other nasties can live in pump parts and I just felt better having a fresh set. A set for a PIS cost me about $40 and you can find new sets on Ebay and Babies R Us.

You also asked, "Exactly how, when and on what side(s) should I begin pumping?" since you have one breast that produces more than the other. I had the same issue. What I did was to feed ds on the higher producer before I left for work in the morning. That way, when I went to pump, I would get a fairly even amount out of each breast. Since you're able to stay at home, you may find that you can pump the fuller breast after you get done feeding and still stay "even."

Before purchasing/using a used pump you may want to have it checked for effectiveness. A co-worker let me use her PIS when I returned to work and although it seemed to work ok, when I had it inspected, some of the parts had worn out and the suction was affected. I ended up getting a new Ameda Purely Yours (1/2 price of PIS but same effectiveness) because Medela wouldn't fix her pump because by my using it, the warranty was voided.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Hi there,
    Because you will not be pumping for long separations but merely for a few hours away, you may find manual expression to work quite well for you. Many moms have had great success with manual expression and never even have to worry about pumps!

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMarApr96p51.html

http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html (not an LLL source)

HTH!