Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no more than 32 oz of formula per day

Default Re: no more than 32 oz of formula per day

I wonder if I would have a larger storage capacity if the nurses at the hospital had not told me that I had to top him off with formula after every nursing session because he was a big baby. I did this for almost two weeks....I now know better

Anyone know what determines your storage space??

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

Quote Originally Posted by ee_lime View Post
    I wonder if I would have a larger storage capacity if the nurses at the hospital had not told me that I had to top him off with formula after every nursing session because he was a big baby. I did this for almost two weeks....I now know better

Anyone know what determines your storage space??

I'm not an expert, but from what I've read storage capacity is related to the physical structure of the breast (i.e. amount of ducts, etc.) and can be related to size (though not necessarily so). A woman with a small storage capacity can produce overall the same amount as a woman with a large storage capacity, but just can't have as much available at one feeding...so the baby may need to nurse more frequently. I don't *think* that nursing management (i.e. supplements) affect the storage capacity. However, early supplements *can* affect supply (even long term if I understand correctly). I the early weeks, the amount of sucking at the breast can affect the number of prolactin receptors (I'm doing this from memory so someone correct me if I'm wrong) thereby making it more difficult to increase supply later if sucking time is artificially decreased. Hope that made sense!

Quote Originally Posted by ee_lime View Post
    it does say that average rate of milk synthesis is 1/3 to 2 ounces per breast per hour, so 16 -32 ounces per day, BUT When milk is regularly and thoroughly removed from the breast, milk synthesis is unrestricted.
    If you can produce 2 ounces per breast per hour doesn't that make 96 oz (both breasts) per day? If that is the case you can even exclusively BF triplets.

I disagree about comparing the amount of formula in ounces to the amount of breastmilk in ounces.

Even if a mother's body does produce, say 32 of bm a day, you cannot logically say that the baby will just need 32 ounces of formula, as formula is not as readily absorbed as breastmilk, the nutrients in it as not as bioavailable, so maybe the baby will need to take in more formula to get what he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    If you can produce 2 ounces per breast per hour doesn't that make 96 oz (both breasts) per day? If that is the case you can even exclusively BF triplets.
    Thankyou for the correction

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

I just wanted to correct the asumption that just b/c a bf baby doesn't cry like they're hungry and are content after feedings that they are receiving the right amount of bm, that's not always true. Just like whenever a ff baby cries, he doesn't always want to eat.

32ozs a day is a guesstimate at best, I think based on the notion that too much of certain vitamins and calcium etc can actually stress the body. If you are following your baby's cues, even ffing, you shouldn't overfeed them. My son was on rx formula as a toddler, no solids so he was drinking 40+ozs a day, but he had to to get all his nutrients he needed. There should never be a hard and fast rule saying baby (or toddler) shouldn't have more than x amount of formula or bm.
    Jennifer, child passenger safety technician and mama to,
    AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), and Olivia (2/12/09)

If a breastfed baby is taking 1 to 1.5 oz per hour (which is the amount a BF baby is supposed to drink if he's away from his mom) that's 24 to 36 oz for an entire 24 hour period.

I think part of it is because it's formula and manufactured to be "complete" nutrition if you feed X amount of it per day.

In animal feeds, for example, many are formulated to meet the animal's requirement based on its weight and amount of feed you use. A good example is horse feed. For my little Arabians, the feed manufacturer of the grain mix I use recommends like 2 pounds of grain per 100 lbs or something like that. But if I actually used that much feed, my horses would blow up! But if I don't feed that much, their diet isn't "balanced." Does that make any sense at all?

I'm just speculating. I've never really studied a can of formula, but I know most say at X months or X lbs, you should be feeding Y amount.

However, I know a lot of moms who use formula use wayyy more than the recommended amount for a lot of reasons. Some kids do need more, but I've seen a lot of moms chivvying their kids to finish a bottle because they don't want to discard the formula since it's expensive.

The milk thing is really interesting. . .. I'm one of those moms who apparently has a lot of capacity for both storage and manufacture. AFTER Colton nurses, I can still pump several ounces from each breast.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!