Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no more than 32 oz of formula per day

Default no more than 32 oz of formula per day

Hi everyone,
    I was searching the internet for how much breastmilk an eight month old drinks per feeding so I could pump a bottle for dad to feed our lo and I read that babies are not supposed to have more than 32 oz of formula per day and if they are still hungry then they should have solids. Why is this???I mean I think formula is nasty stuff, but I never realized you could only have so much!lol....

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

Default Re: no more than 32 oz of formula per day

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post

The 32 oz's comes from this. It's the normal max amount of milk a BF'ing mother makes per day. Some make more, some less. So, if you are in the right frame of mind, saying that although a baby is taking formula vs Breastmilk, that even though you can give an unlimited amount of formula, that it is best to limit this to what a mother could make naturally.

I have never heard that a mother would only make around 32 oz per day. I am assuming this is just because it is supply and demand and that is how much the baby takes in....and if you were nursing twins, then you would make appx 64 oz per day??

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy

Now that I think about it more, its probably because babies "know " how much breastmilk they need....but formula is different in lots of ways and it throws their senses off and they are no longer a very good judge of how much they should eat???
    KWIM???

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy

Maybe I am not understanding, but I am going to have to disagree, I do not feel that there is a max amount of milk that mom can make, it is supply and demand, so as long as there is a demand for even 100 oz per day, it will be there...???

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy

I agree, even the best pump will not do a good enough job to lets say pump enough for triplets, but I do believe that if each one were nursing properly, then mom would have enough milk for all of them, and I do not think that any of them would be eating any less than a singleton would be

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy

That was very interesting, thats awesome that lots of research is being done. Yes it does say that average rate of milk synthesis is 1/3 to 2 ounces per breast per hour, so 16 -32 ounces per day, BUT When milk is regularly and thoroughly removed from the breast, milk synthesis is unrestricted.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy

After the first maybe 6 weeks I switched over to nursing on one breast per feeding...lol

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy

I'm glad that helps. I have never had twins, but I would think that they are use to maybe not getting as much as a single baby. If a single baby could have 2 breasts per feeding, a twin would normally have one, I would assume they make up for this by extra feeds. And alot has to do with a woman's storage capacity.
    Actually, if that stance were always true about breastfed twins, then they'd always be underweight. Your metabolism and needs don't necessarily adjust to how much you're eating, or I'd be much thinner, and kids wouldn't ever be truly underweight, (not including those who are just naturally thinner IYKWIM)

In my experience, generally, if there is more demand for milk, ie. pumping or extra nursings, then your body steps up production and makes more. That's how moms CAN breastfeed twins with no problems whatsoever, sometimes triplets, but at some point, it does become difficult to produce SOOOo much BM, and I've heard that sometimes triplets need supplements, and so do multiples larger than triplets, and even SOME moms of twins. Some moms do run into storage capacity issues, and need to nurse more often than their counterparts with large storage capacities, so they find that they need to nurse more often, and end up making the right amount for their baby, but have to nurse more often, as the breast only holds so much at one time.

I actually deal with oversupply. I have since DS#1 was born. Neither of my kids have ever needed more than one breast per sitting(except during the first few days of AF, as supply normally drops a little bit then). However, my other breast is full. In the first few weeks to months with a newborn, I am bursting to over-capacity...I could breastfeed several babies at once with that kind of capacity, and there is so much that I have OALD too. It takes quite awhile of working with it to get to a point where there isn't so much that baby chokes and drowns in milk.

So while there may be an amount of breastmilk that a normal baby takes in, I wouldn't say that amount is the maximum that she could ever produce. You also need to take into consideration, that the amount of BM you are producing changes with the needs of your child, so a given child may nurse more at some periods of their nursing relationship than others, and get more BM at those times, IYKWIM?

Quote Originally Posted by Mommie of 2 View Post
    Some moms do run into storage capacity issues, and need to nurse more often than their counterparts with large storage capacities, so they find that they need to nurse more often, and end up making the right amount for their baby, but have to nurse more often, as the breast only holds so much at one time.
    I think I have a small storage capacity becuase my lo has always nursed very frequently.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy

think I have a small storage capacity becuase my lo has always nursed very frequently
    Even though I have a large storage capacity with the oversupply, both of my boys have always nursed very frequently. Up until like 9 mos, my youngest nursed every 2 hours and at least twice at night. After that, he moved to like every 3 hours, and now after a year, he will go 4 or 5 hours a couple of times during the day but still nurses more often than alot of babies on these forums.

I think he just prefers smaller amounts more often. His big brother was like that, and eats his regular food like that still...more like 5 or 6 small meals a day than a few large ones.

And yeah I have a small storage bin, funny as I'm a 32G! (yeah I know it makes no difference, but everyone thinks it does)
    That had to stink if people made comments about it!!!!!