Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: solids guidelines

Default solids guidelines

(I posted this as a reply to another thread, but since it got no replies, I'm posting here again)

This is my first post. Have spent the last couple of days looking through archives. Very helpful yet I am still quite confused about introducing solids while still maintaining breastmilk as the main food for baby.

My baby is 7m, was EBF till 5.5 m , at which time we started her on solids (rice cereal with EBM, homemade fruits and veggies). She's slept through the night since 3 m but lately has been waking up once or twice a night. And she seems to be putting things in her mouth all the time and also moving her head back and forth (a bit wildly at times). I see all these signs as hunger cues, but my husband points out that it's probably teething. I know she's teething also, but it's tough spending the entire day trying to decipher her actions and trying to figure out if she's hungy. It seems like my entire day is spent wondering anxiously if I should be feeding her again, even though she didn't eat her last meal (solid) at all.

This is a long way of asking, is there a good guideline on how much baby should be eating at given ages? I know every baby is different, but are there some guidelines to follow (as there are for adults, for example). I have the Super Baby Book (which I find to be ridiculous by the way, why would you feed your baby things you don't eat yourself such as brewer's yeast????), but the recommendations in it seem to be much more than what the women on this forum are feeding their babies. And other websites I've visited recommend even more.

Thanks.

Default Re: solids guidelines

I'm not sure there's a definitive answer for you....As you said, every baby IS different. My twins started solids (they were FF) at 5 months, and around 7-8 months, they were sharing 2 jars of baby food at a sitting, and had 2 meals per day. My singleton didn't really want anything to do with solids (he was bf) until around 8-9 months old.

I think that before babies turn 1, breastmilk can provide everything they need. It does contain more calories, ounce for ounce, than most solid foods out there. So, solids are really more for experimentation rather than for a mainstay of nutrition.

As for your child, lots of things could be going on. Lots of babies around this age are becoming mobile, and then become more restless at night. Teething could definitely disrupt a sleep schedule, too.

I think if nothing else, your baby sounds normal to me! Sorry I don't have more answers for you!

Lisa

Hi,

Lots of into and links to different sources on solids...

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids...ids-links.html
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

I was under the impression that a serving size for an older infant (8-12 months)was 1 tbsp. and that they got the same number of servings as an adult. So, for example, 5-9 servings of fruits & veggies per day equals 5-9 tbsp. I think that's a little over 1/2 cup total per day. I wish I could remember where I read this. IMO, the babyfood companies want you to feed your kids an abnormal amount of solids foods so you buy more...

Angela

Thanks everyone for your input. It's wonderful to get advice from experienced moms.