Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water in sippy cup at 4 1/2 mon.

Question water in sippy cup at 4 1/2 mon.

I bought a transition cup for my 4 mon. old yesterday and put some nursery water in it for him to play with. We reciently have been having problems with getting him to eat and thought maybe he would use a cup. Well he actually picked it up and started using it all by himself right off. He seems to really like it and I am not sure if it is something I should keep on giving him. He dosen't drink much so I don't know if it is even making a difference. I just don't know if I should take it away from him or just let him have it.

Default Re: water in sippy cup at 4 1/2 mon.

At some point you do want to teach your LO to use a sippy sup. I did this at 9months. My opinion is that 4 1/2 months is too early. This might affect how much your LO nurses and could cause a bigger issue than you thought...But it is ultimately your decision.

If not too much is actually being drank, and it does not seem to be conflicting with nursing, go for it..but a BF baby does not NEED water.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

I bought a sippy cup last week and introduced it to my ds today. he is 5mo. I haven't put anything in it, I just want him to get use to it....a bit weird now that I think of it....

anyway, If he seems interested in it then I will try with EBM.

It would be handy if he liked the sippy cup because he refuses to take bottles and it would give dh the chance to help him feed.

I bought a transition cup for my 4 mon. old yesterday and put some nursery water in it for him to play with. We reciently have been having problems with getting him to eat and thought maybe he would use a cup. Well he actually picked it up and started using it all by himself right off. He seems to really like it and I am not sure if it is something I should keep on giving him. He dosen't drink much so I don't know if it is even making a difference. I just don't know if I should take it away from him or just let him have it.
    Do you mean that you've been having problems getting him to nurse or take a bottle? or do you mean that you've been having problems getting him to eat solids?

If its that you are having problems getting him to eat solids, unless your son has some medical reason where your doctor told you he absolutely must be on solids right now, they really aren't even necessary at 4.5 mos. at all. The AAP actually now recommends starting solids after 6 mos. now, as baby's intestines aren't actually developed enough for them prior to that point. Some doctors still tell you to go ahead and start solids, but they aren't necessary at 4.5 mos. Some doc.s do suggest rice cereal do to concerns about lack of vitamin D and iron in some breastfed babies, but that can be remedied with a vitamin supplement for babies that your doc. can tell you about.

As far as water goes, it is generally not a good idea to give water to a breastfed baby prior to 6 mos. of age. It has something to do with a possibility of elelctrolyte imbalance, and can be serious in some babies. Babies can also replace breastmilk with the water they're drinking at that age, which would also be detrimental to their health if they don't get enough breastmilk because their bellies are filled up with water. As long as baby is drinking plenty of breastmilk, and your doctor didn't tell you that your baby needed the water for some reason, then water shouldn't be necessary at all before 6 mos.

If you want to introduce the sippy cup, try EBM like Mummy suggested. Or, let baby just play with the empty cup, as even juice isn't recommended at that age either.

We started the sippy cup and solids at 4months. I wanted my husband to be able to participate in some of this experience before he deployed. My pedi said it was fine to start solids at 4months. Pedi gave me a handout with guidelines. It said I could "offer water, no juices" at 4-6months.
    DS did awesome with solids. He is on no particular schedule and gets mostly breastmilk still.
    We gave him the sippy cup and he also took to it really well. He drinks "maybe" an 1/2oz to 1oz of water when I give it to him. I try to give it to him once a day and let him play with it mostly.
    I would say as long as he is breastfeeding WELL (since this is most important for him still); dont force solids or a sippy; but if he takes it so be it. But as always ask your pedi for their opinion as well.
    Breastfed for 20months

The reason I tried to see if he would use the sippy cup is because I can't get him to eat out of a bottle. He is not really drinking anything at all, but I figured if he liked it then that would be good when I have to have someone else give him EBM. He has also been fighting me to BF so I don't know what to do. I have bought every kind of bottle and nipple you can think of. He is eating rice cereal once a day now just for the texture so he can get use to it. I have heard that if you wait to long to introduce solids your baby will refuse them.

If you're offering solids now because you're afraid that your child will refuse them if you wait, rest assured that this isn't the case--that is, unless you waited until your baby was quite a bit older. And even then, I don't think there's any hard and fast research that will give you a definitive age when this would occur.

AAP still recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months. I'm not telling you what to do, mind you, just giving you the information (I started my twins on solids at 5 months). I know that a lot of doctors still dole out the old recommendation of starting solids at 4-6 months, but the AAP has revised that guideline.

Here's a link that also links the AAP stance: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

Lisa

Two things:

First, I wouldn't put anything but H20 in a sippy when/if you give it to baby. Sippy cups tend to be "nursed" for longer periods of time (spoilage issue for EBM) AND the way the spouts work the liquid "pools" in the mouth, which is a bad thing if the liquid has sugars in it, which EBM and juice both have. That said, water poses two problems: fill up on H20 and not BM and too much H2O can even be toxic.

Second, I am a firm believer that using the "months" as a guideline for when to start solids does parents a disservice. First, it provides fodder for other parents to say, "I did this at this age, you should to" or otherwise make a mom feel guilty for starting solids earlier or later than what others say. Babies are so incredibly different...I don't think a mom should be made to feel guilty for starting her DD or DS on solids at 4 or 5 or 6 or X months anymore than someone should try to guilt her for a baby that isn't walking at X months!

The best advice I've read regarding solids is that of looking for the "clues" (i.e., shows interest in what you are doing when eating, reaches for food that you're eating, ~13#, has lost thrust reflex, etc.) that your DS or DD is ready to try them, NOT AAP or pediatrician recommendations.

Second, I am a firm believer that using the "months" as a guideline for when to start solids does parents a disservice. First, it provides fodder for other parents to say, "I did this at this age, you should to" or otherwise make a mom feel guilty for starting solids earlier or later than what others say. Babies are so incredibly different...I don't think a mom should be made to feel guilty for starting her DD or DS on solids at 4 or 5 or 6 or X months anymore than someone should try to guilt her for a baby that isn't walking at X months!

The best advice I've read regarding solids is that of looking for the "clues" (i.e., shows interest in what you are doing when eating, reaches for food that you're eating, ~13#, has lost thrust reflex, etc.) that your DS or DD is ready to try them, NOT AAP or pediatrician recommendations.
    The reason I mentioned the AAP recommendations in my post, is that they've done new research and changed their stance on when solids are appropriate. Their reasoning for waiting longer, is that they've found that baby's intestines aren't developed enough for solids prior to that point, and kids can develop allergies and gastric problems if they're given solids prior to when their intestines have developed enough.

There are also more signs on when baby is ready for solids, here's the link from the LLL page that talks about it, and a quote:

Your baby is starting to get ready for solids when:

he is about four months old
    he becomes more sociable, playing and holding "conversations" with you during a nursing session
    he has a growth spurt and nurses more frequently for a while
    he imitates the chewing motions you make whilst eating -- he is practicing!

You will know that he is really ready to start solids when:

he is about six months old
    he can sit up without any support
    he continues to be hungry despite more frequent nursing which is unrelated to illness or teething
    he has lost the tongue-thrusting reflex and does not push solids out of his mouth
    he can pick up things with his finger and thumb (pincer grasp)

Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.

Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

I agree that the AAP shift to later is of value. I was just making the point that putting a month-mark to use as a guide isn't particularly helpful when it it comes to anything baby-related

A lot of those other clues were what I was thinking of when I wrote "etc"...I thought I remembered seeing them on that link