Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newborn wants to be attatched to nipple

Default Newborn wants to be attatched to nipple

Just brought home my first born. Funny thing is, you read the info and go to classes before giving birth and everything is about babies that don't want to take to breastfeeding. My LO took to it the moment he was born. It was great. I'd feed him and then he'd sleep (1.5 to 3 hours), repeat for 48 hours.

Came home from the hospital and the first night went well, same pattern. We noted that his poop is changing away from the black tar, so I started to worry a bit about if he's getting enough nourishment from me. His need to breastfeed has increased. He'd like to stay latched to one or the other nipple all day. He feeds 20-30 minutes, falls asleep and will wake every few moments to feed a little more, and eventually I can lay him on my lap. But the slightest movement and he gets inconsolable until he feeds and goes through the same process.

It makes sense to me that this is likely normal. He's running out of the nourishment that was in his system at birth and my milk isn't filling his little marble sized gullet. Also the more he feeds the more he will influence my milk production?

I assume this sort of restlessness and frustrated crying is the sort of thing that is being posted as "the first 4-6 weeks" issues? Any suggestions or similar experience stories are appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Newborn wants to be attatched to nipple

I'm new to this BF thing, as my boy is only 2 weeks old today, but it sounds like your LO is using you as a pacifier. He probably isn't hungry, but just likes to suck and you are what he is sucking on.

congrats on your baby by the way!!! Isn't it the greatest thing?

As the PP post said, it sounds like your LO is using you as a pacifer. I found that to be true with both my children. I never had any probems giving my two a pacifer very early on, but some women have reported this because it can cause nipple confusion.

As for the chaning color of your LO's poop, it should be a mustardy, seedy color. It is perfectly normal for it to change. I actually remember my daughter's changing colors with some of the foods I ate.

Good luck to both of you. I hope you find this breastfeeding experience to be very rewarding for you.

most newborns need to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours.
    Thats just the way they are made. Heres a link to know if your baby is getting the milk they need.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

maybe this link will help also
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/frequency.html

Congrats on the baby! My DD was constantly on the boob the first few weeks too. She would scream after 5 minutes of being off and want back on. Like the pps said, it's totally normal. Try to sit back and relax with your baby and let the housework go for now. And don't be afraid to ask for help too. You're giving your baby a wonderful gift by breastfeeding him. Keep up the good work!
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

My lo did the same thing the 3rd night. My nurse at the hospital said it was a feeding frenzy. The baby is just trying to bring in your milk.

That's quite normal for a newborn. He's probably sucking for comfort which is also very common for breastfed newborns.

The good thing is that his sucking will tell your body to produce more milk for him since we produce milk based on supply and demand.

Remember they sleep a lot for the first 48 hours due to the exhaustion of being born. That's why he slept well between feedings.

You could give him a pacifier, but some people believe that promotes nipple confusion. My son won't take a pacifier, especially from me. Some of the nurses at the hospital told me that they don't recommend pacifiers for awhile, because a newborn will suck on a pacifier, and then fall asleep on an empty stomach.

My advice is to keep nursing him (I know it's not easy!), and in the next couple weeks you will notice that he will nurse faster and won't be quite so attached to the breast. My son is 6 weeks now, and he can nurse in about 15-20 minutes-although he can nurse longer and will at certain times of the day.

His poop will definitely change to a white seedy mustard color and be runny. His poop changing is not at all an indication of getting enough to eat or not. It's that he's now born and being breastfed. As long as he is pooping and peeing the correct amount, he is getting enough nourishment.

Good luck!

Smile Re: Newborn wants to be attatched to nipple

My DS is almost three weeks old. I agree with the other posters that he's probably using you as a pacifier. Sometimes my son will feed for an hour or so, but not all the time. I never had a problem with nipple confusion; my son latched on well right away and we were using a pacifier by day two, we have even had to supplement with a bottle here and there . He's never had a problem with it. I would try a newborn pacifier.