Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2nd time mom question about Breastfeeding

Default 2nd time mom question about Breastfeeding

A little back ground info first. Not so dear dh left me when I was 34 weeks. I am due in 2 weeks and really Want to breast feed. I will also be pumping. My question is this she might be spending some time with her dad this summer or later. A week maybe more. Being away from the breast that long or longer, will she take to the breast when she gets back or will she reject me? It is really important to me to breastfeed since this is my last one. Any info would be appreciated. TIA!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: 2nd time mom question about Breastfeeding

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I can't imagine!

Your LO will still be very young this summer. IMO, you shouldn't be separated for any where near that long - a day tops. It could jeopordize your BF relationship. I don't know how far away dad is or your "situation", but it seems to me that he's the one that left. He needs to accomodate you and your LO.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I think it might be difficult to build up an entire week's supply and then continue pumping exclusively for an entire week. I haven't been in that situation, but it certainly seems difficult to spend an entire week away from a newborn - emotionally as well as practically. Is it necessary? Would it be better for you to wait at least until LO is eating solids and not nursing as often? Or could you let her visit for an afternoon or weekend?

I'm sure someone with more experience as a single mom will weigh in.

Not so dear dh is in the military and stationed else where. So he cant come here and stay for any length of time and it is to long of a drive for him to just come for the weekend. I really want them to have a relationship and dont want him to miss out on the first year of her life. At first I was against her leaving until she was at least 2yrs old. But I really want them to know each other. At this point he knows more about breast feeding than I do. lol

Hi there!!
    So sorry to hear about your situation. My cousin was in a similar scenario when her little boy was born. She breastfed til he was two, her ex dh was only allowed to take him for the day until after she was done breastfeeding and that was the judges ruling. I can understand wanting them to have a relationship, but I agree with pp's that it would be awfully hard on the both of you to be away that long. Good luck to you!