Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spitting up a lot..?

Default Spitting up a lot..?

My dd is almost 3 wks. old and she spits up quite a bit. I don't know how normal this is...she does it atleast once right after each session and sometimes it will be a while after she's ate. Also she tends to actually throw up too. I do know that she tends to really gulp at first when she latches on and sometimes gets too much and will choke and spit up. I'm just wondering if she's eating too much per session and can't handle the volume so spits some back up? Should I be concerned?

Default Re: Spitting up a lot..?

I was going to ask this question too, only mine is slightly different. My DD is 2 weeks old and never spat up until this past weekend, where in the process it also came out her nose and scared the crap out of her (and me!). She's done it twice since then (once more out the nose).

Is spitting up an aversion to something I've eaten?

My 9 day old ds started spitting up this past weekend. I was very concerned and called my LC. By way of background, my ds is a 35 week premie. We have been having some nipple confusion issues because I wasn't able to feed him for the first two days of his life. Although I tried to pump, nothing would come out (no colestrum). Now I have had to supplement his BF sessions with bottles of breast milk. It turns out, ds has been spitting up because daddy and grandma haven't been burping him adequately during bottle feedings. My LC said he needs to be burped every 1/2 ounce. I have noticed that my ds spits up a bit after BFing, too, so I have started burping him during BF sessions. That seems to work. HTH!

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My 3wo also spits up quite a bit, and burping him helps a lot. My Ped said that it's normal for the spitup to come out of their noses, which can cause that little irritation that leads to them sounding "snarky" when they breathe thru the nose while BFing. I was told that spitting up isn't related to what I eat, but I don't remember how authoritative the source was.

I'm also interested in what amount of spitup is cause for concern...

My two week old is also doing the same thing with the spitting up. Perfectly normal according to our pediatrician, there is a medical reason relating to their sphincter muscle being not fully developed yet. Burping her between breasts helps a lot. She will spit up long after feedings, though. I read somewhere that holding them upright for 20 minutes after eating helps to minimize, but is very hard to do at night feedings.

Quote Originally Posted by sblairc
    but is very hard to do at night feedings.
    This is my main problem now...she's getting better with spitting up during the day, but at night it's awful.

My ds started spitting up a ton right around his two week point. It got so stressful to me that I was stressing out every time he wanted to eat! I felt like I had to sit on the couch forever because I would sit there when he ate, and then for a little while after so that his stomach would settle, then he would be hungry again...

I think he was spitting up for a few reasons...first, when they are so young their muscles are not fully developed and cannot keep down what they just ate. Also, their stomachs are small and when they get more than they can handle, it's got to go somewhere! During those first few weeks when you are trying to establish your milk supply and your nursing relationship it is normal for baby to get a lot of milk! They love nursing and your milk keeps flowing! Fast let downs can also lead to baby spitting up.

I will tell you that I did a ton of reading and this is what I've found. It is hard to relax about spitting up, but if they are having plenty of wet/poopy diapers and seem to be fine in every other way, not showing signs of dehydration, you know baby is getting plenty of milk. I had to tell myself a million times a day, he's fine! We did go through a ton of clothes though!!

My ds is now 12 weeks old and still spits up, but it is not the flowing kind of never ending spit up that he was experiencing at two weeks. My mother in law tried to tell us that formula would stop the spitting up. Don't let anyone talk you into this! Breastmilk is the best, even if your baby has reflux.

Are you nursing from both breasts w/ each feeding? If you are, you may want to try just giving her one breast per feeding. You can even try just offering one breast for 2-3 hours if she wants to nurse in that time. I had problems w/ my DD projectile vomiting for weeks before someone suggested that to me. She still spits up often (she's nearly 9 months), but it's not a lot at a time. Good luck!

These links may help: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Jennifer

I was just going to post a very similar question. My DS is almost 4 weeks old and is spitting up quite a bit- after most feedings, really. We're still getting enough wet & dirty diapers, but it is alarming to me that he continues to spit up. I plan to take him in this week for a weight check, but other than that I'm at a loss as to what to do. I remember my DD spitting up & she was formula fed- her pedi felt that she may have slight reflux, but I don't recall it being this frequent.

ETA- Often when he spits up it looks like water???
    Last edited by KK2; May 1st, 2006 at 11:40 PM.

My 9 week old spits or throws up quite frequently. I was concerned, but she is gaining beautifully (from 8lbs 1 ounce at birth to 12 lbs 8 ounces last week). My dr was not concerned, said she probably eats too much and is much for her stomach to handle. I usually feed her lying down and actually have noticed that she spits up less through the night when I don't pick her up after a feed. She will usually spit or throw up when I lift her right after feeding.